Antique IrisNo Name

Orinda, CA(Zone 9b)

These iris were given to me by an old friend. I think they are quite old. Some grow to be at least 5 feet, sometimes a little more, although most are about 4 feet. They are prolific bloomers and the first iris to bloom in my garden. Does anyone know what they are?

Thumbnail by orindarose
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wanda graciously identified mine last year as iris pallida. Yours look the same. Do they have a grape fragrance? Mine also get 4-5 ft tall. Polly

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

looks just like one I have that was identified as I. pallida also. However, mine has only ever gotten to 30". I think I'll move mine to a sunny area and see what happens!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Lilyfan, I seem to have two sizes of padilla. One is tall with large blooms. Smells like grape koolaid. The other is short with small buds. It also smells like grape koolaid. I dug these after a freind passed, so I can't ask her. You may just have the smaller plant. My tall one has been blooming and the short one hasn't yet.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

The very first bud on mine opened this afternoon in the warmth of the sun. Yes, it does smell like grape kool-aid. I love it! It is good to know that there is a shorter variety and that I haven't stunted them by growing them in dappled shade for most of the day.

Orinda, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! Thanks, I think that's it.

Newfoundland, NJ

Your iris is not I pallida. Look at the haft marks. Very prominent. Pallida does not have this characteristic. This is an antique hybridized iris, probably CRUSADER. See the picture of it on the HIPS website.
http://www.hips-roots.com
Laetitia

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Sugarbean1. Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Patti

Orinda, CA(Zone 9b)

I see what you mean Sugarbean1. Unfortunately, I haven't located a photo of Crusader. Thanks!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Does Crusader also smell like grape koolaid?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

What an interesting link - thank you for providing it!
Sharon

Orinda, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine has what I think of as a strong Iris scent. You could describe it as grape kool aid.

Newfoundland, NJ

orindarose:
Here is a picture of CRUSADER from the HIPS website. I don't grow it so I don't know what the scent is. Another possibility is CATERINA. I will send that picture too. These iris are half pallidas so probably do have a scent.
Laetitia

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Newfoundland, NJ

Here is CATERINA. It is a bit tender in the northeast. California would be ideal for these half pallida half riccardi/trojana/mesopotamica iris
Laetitia

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

This is what I have. This one has a strong grape koolaid scent and large blooms. It gets 2 1/2' tall. It's a pale purple.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

This one has the same scent, is a darker purple, the blooms are smaller, and it's 3' tall.

This message was edited May 30, 2006 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by billyporter
Orinda, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm thinking mine look more like Caterina, a little paler than Crusader. I need to check out the height and bloom period. Thanks Sugarbean 1. How did you get to those photos? I went to the hips website, but niether Caterina or Crusader are listed under their photos. Do you get greater access when you sign up as a member?

Billyporter, It doesn't appear that your lighter-colored iris doesn't have the haft markings, couldn't tell for sure on the darker one.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I got both iris from a friend and don't know what either of them are. I was hoping for a positive ID on them. I don't know how old they are either. What is a haft? (Being a gardener I should know, but I don't have any iris books.)

Orinda, CA(Zone 9b)

Billyporter, I think of the hafts as the "shoulders" of the downward facing sepals (or "falls"), but they are also the base of the upward petals (or "standards). If you look closely at the photo I posted, you can see purply-brown zebra type markings on the hafts. They can help you id an iris along with the color of the falls, standards and beard. Iris pallida does not have this marking, but both Caterina and Crusader do.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I see. Mine do have haft markings, but are closer to the inside. They don't come much past the beard and aren't very dark.

Newfoundland, NJ

Yes, you get more to see on the HIPS website if you are a member. Both CRUSADER and CATERINA are similar, but I think CRUSADER is darker and larger. It may be that your iris is neither C or C but something similar of that time period. I also see yours has very smooth falls, but C or C are a little 'rumpled'.
Billyporter: I think both your iris are forms of pallida. There are both light and dark varieties.
Laetitia

Orinda, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Laetitia. I guess I'll keep on looking.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sugar! Both smell like grape koolaid, so I'm glad to know more about them. I guess I'm sort of an historian, in, I like to identify what I have and I like to keep old things alive. Practice for myself? LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.