New trailing torenia/anyone know about it?

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

The plant manufacturers (joke) have come out with a new trailing torenia for anyone who loves that plant like I do. It is called "Catalina Violet Flare". It is red violet with yellow on two sides of the flower. I bought it from Deneweth's Nursery and it was distributed by "Proven Winners" Can't wait to see this in combination in the planter on my front porch. Major planting this weekend.....

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, anybody out there? I just bought some purple torenia at another nursery...I use it as a ground cover in some spots. I guess I have to answer my own thread..yes I have had good luck with that plant and it seems to grow well and give lots of color in shady spots that receive a little bit of sun. Just make sure you fertilize it well for lots of blooms. I guess I'm the only one who is interested in this plant, bye bye.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Not so! ;o) I grow this plant in containers every year and love it. I keep it pruned, like you would a shrub, and deadhead faithfully. It always gets lots of "Oh! Look at that pretty one's".

I'll surely look for the trailing variety. I'm off to Telly's next week to buy most of my annuals & container stuff, they'll likely have it.

Later, Al

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for posting to my thread Al. If you like the regular torenia, you will absolutely love the trailing variety. I find that the flowers are bigger. I am sure Telly's will have it for sale. Let me know how you like it if you can.

gardenbeads

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

If this thread gets old & I get older and more forgetful, remind me around the 4th (of Jul). I THINK I remember a gardening friend telling me she got a new one this year - she remembered I like them.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh wow, that is beautiful. I have tried growing the regular torenia, but it never looked like that. I had mine in the ground though. Those flowers are huge. That is probably how big the flowers are on the trailing type though. Thanks for sharing the picture. I am going to try growing that kind in a pot, I really like that.

gardenbeads

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

tapla.........that is gorgous........wish I had shade to grow that......most of my garden if full sun...........

Are you coming to the plant swap???

Deann

Houston, TX

I too love torenia, only I'm in Houston, but grew up in Michigan. I just love these flowers, and have them in three different colors. Please keep posting pictures. I love to see them....

Does the trailing torenia go down over the side of a pot, or basket like petunias...or phlox? I've never seen one down here.

Plant City, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is zone 9a the blue or purple Torenia, whichever, filled an 18" bowl in about three weeks, roots easily from cuttings and is a beautiful addition to the garden.

Thumbnail by williamca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.