One Ball squash trying my patience

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

An interesting cultivar that I am trying this year. First it was so slow to emerge that I replanted. Then after the crooknecks and other zuchinni were budding, Every seed sprouted. Well good I told myself.The plants must be tasty, because I checked them again today and everyplant has dissappeared. I am blaming the Brown Thrashers because I have seen them scratching around in the squash patch. never bothered the others tho.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Is that the 8 ball sqaush Dill? I grew them last year and found them a pain to pick. They were all in tight next to the other vines and hard to see the stem - tasted good but I am not growing them again this year. Looks like you aren't either LOL
-Kim

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't admit defeat easily, so I will grow out these things this year. This is a round zucchinni like Eight Ball, Roly Poly, Tonda di Nizza but is a bright yellow. http://www.hollarseeds.com/SummerSquash/OneBall.htm

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh sure - now you show me, looks yummy... being in a foodie household the 2 together would make great presentation with soup inside. Looks like they would sell well too. Knowing you we will be seeing pics in no time!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Sheesh, i hope they do better for you, now that i look at the link, i think i want to grow the little buggers too... I can imagine cutting the top off the green and yellow, stuffing them like twice baked potatoes. Single serving size. It would look lovely, and taste good too! I love little stuffed squash. Never though of putting soup inside them.

Bluekat, what type of soup do you use? Veggies as bowls looks so nice, we made pumpkin soufflé for Thanksgiving, and cooked it inside the tiny sugar pumpkins, it looked so beautiful and tasted really great!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I was thinking I could cut a lid off and scoop out the middle and have cold bloody mary gazpacho inside. Or serve warm with minestrone soup. Or scoop them out, nuke them until barely soft and fill with couscous, sauteed veggies, tomatoes and top with cheese. Bake until heated through.

All this talk of cooking them and we don't even have a plant yet! LOL

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Next year...

I don't know about you, but i am always planning for next year.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't know about the soup, I have only seen the wax gourds used for that purpose. These little round type zukes, Eight Ball, Cue Ball, One Ball, Tonda de Nizza are ideal for stuffed squash tho.
They’re easy to make, too!

INGREDIENTS

6 small summer squash
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 large squash blossoms (optional), slivered
1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons minced marjoram or basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Slice squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds and discard. Slice a little off the bottoms so squash rest flat, cut side up.

2. In a skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Add squash blossoms, if using; saute 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and cool slightly. Stir in ricotta, 1/4 cup of Parmesan, 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, egg, marjoram, salt, and pepper until blended. Spoon into squash shells.

3. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan and bread crumbs over tops. Bake 25 minutes, until sides are tender; broil 3 minutes, until tops are golden. Serve hot.

Serves 12 as an appetizer, 6 as a side dish.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.