Making a fountain from a container

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone,

I would really like to have an interesting fountain for my patio but looking around, the foutains are too expensive, too large, too ornate... Wondering if anyone has attempted to make a fountain from an urn or other type of pot/ planter/container. If so, can you advise as to the best type of container to use, etc. Pictures would be a great help. Thanks.
Liz

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I saw a real simple one on Curb Appeal. It comes on HGTV on Saturday mornings. Go to the HGTV.com website. They should have the pics and directions. Actually, I could make it, and thought about it.

The urn was a plain Grecian style, about 3-4 ft. which they painted a Mediterranean blue. Dig your hole, level it, and line it with the pool liner (the thick guage green sheet) Let the liner overlap the edges. They put an overturned flowerpot in the hole and set the pump on top, so it didnt sit directly on the floor of the hole. Then they put a square of heavy guage wire mesh over the hole to create a platform for the urn to rest on. Drill the hole in the bottom of the urn and assemble the pump through the bottom of the urn. They then covered the overlapping pool liner and the ground surrounding the urn with pebbles. You can even plant water loving flowers at this point and surround them with the pebbles, too. Fill the urn, turn on the pump and the water cascades down the sides of the urn, into the pool below, and recycles up to the top again. Measure the water level periodically to ensure nothing is leaking.

Voila!

HMMMMMM. I might just do this myself!

Hope I got it right!

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

sounds wonderful GG. Was this particular show on recently? I tried to find it, but no luck.
If I want the fountain to sit on my patio, the urn will have to be placed inside another shallow type container which will hold the excess water?

Yep.

Glitz,
You can view the Blue vase water feature at this link:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_landscaping_design/article/0,1785,HGTV_3596_4640640_04,00.html

Glitz,
Here's the link to all their water features! Enjoy!

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_water_features/0,1784,HGTV_3575,00.html

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

beautiful - thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.