morning glory support question, weird huh, oh well ;)

California City, CA

ok someone suggested this beautiful plant to me and i have been reading up on it, now a lot of people seem to be describing supporting it on string on two posts, i just cant visualize this, how high is the string, or are there multiple strings attached to two posts, help.
Tammy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm...was it a morning glory ?

for vines - I use a number of methods, some a bit unorthodox..but it works for me..
I use on the fences, a bird netting that is sort of a plastic net, easy to cut, but very sturdy for vines..the bonus ..you can't see it from a distance.

I attach decorative chains, (they love chains). I have some hanging from the eve of the house, and one from a tree in the back yard.

Bamboo ladders (which is a sort of trellis) and of course trellis.

I haven't tried the two posts and a string, but you can basically tie a string to anything of heighth.

Here is a picture of the morning glory ladders. We are just getting past morning glory season - so a chalice vine is also climbing up the ladders.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

you'll probably want to check out the morning glory forum. LOTS of information over there!

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower
California City, CA

ooops, im sorry, yes it is a morning glory, thankyou for the info. so i can literally hang chains from the eves? that is awesome, and just beautiful i bet, oh now i have to go buy some morning glories, and ill check out the chalice vines too. thanks for the tip on the glory forum, i didnt see that.
tammy

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Morning Glories are rapid growers and get very dense. Whatever you put them on, know that they are going to cover it completely. They will also reseed themselves heavily, so make sure wherever you put them, you are gonna want them popping up on their own every year. LOL
It has to be a sturdy enough to support their weight, I personally have never been a big fan of using string, it has always sagged or broke for me, and if you ARE planning on keeping them in that location for many years, you will probably have to redo/repair it each year. This is just my opinion, so you string users, don't blast me. LOLOL
Or "string" me up. HAR Oh, sorry, back on track, I will show you what I used to use, now I use it for clematis and corkscrew vine, but it has never sagged or needing repair since I have used it.
It is green plastic fencing, I found an old pic before it got covered completely, but it is about 4 feet tall and I have it attached about a foot off the ground, so 5 foot high total. If you wanted it taller, you could always attach it higher. But I got it in the Home Depot outdoor nursery & it was really inexpensive! I am sure they still carry it. I seem to remember it being about $14 for a 15ft roll.
Hope that helps! :~)
Donna

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.