beebalm seeds

(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have a picture of beebalm seeds? or a link to one? Would like to harvest some but have not a clue what they look like!!!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Bee balms are not that easy to collect seeds from and some of the hybrids don't produce seeds. There are little tubes where the flowers connect that will turn brown after the flowers fade. The seeds are at the bottom of the tube. I collect all the seeds heads after they've turned brown and allow them to dry for a week or two. Leaving some stem attached gives you something to hold on to when getting the seeds out. I've found the easiest way is to thump the whole seed head upside down on a cookie sheet until seeds dislodge from the tubes. Just shaking them doesn't seem to work too well but firmly thumping them on the cookie sheet a few times will finally knock them out. I don't get a lot of seeds from them but enough to make several trades. The seeds are brown, about the size of a pin head and shaped like a tiny tear drop.

(Zone 5a)

thank you. I will try that when they are ready. I have red and purple and they are so pretty.

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

(Zone 5a)

I harvested some purple beebalm and this is how I ended up doing it. I broke the flower head in about 4 or 5 pieces and used both hands to sorta twist and see-saw the seeds out. Worked pretty good. They just sorta pop out. Hope I explained that ok. Heather

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.