I'm confused! Amas and Anne Newhard

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I think they look the same. Both are blooming and both look the same, but I think Anne Newhard has a smaller bloom. Am I right? Can anyone give me other things I should be looking for to tell the difference between the two?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Sue, I don't have any pics of the two yet this year, but my 2005 pics show a definite bluish cast to the Amas with drooping falls and distinctive white shoulders..

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

The Anne Newhard has more of a rosy cast with velvety falls and pronounced gold beard. Anyway, that's how these two are marked in my garden. Very differnt in color, but both large blooms.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You can find a pic and description of AMAS on the HIPS site here:

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/QFix.html

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Ladies. Laurie that is a cool website, it helped me to identify another one of ours. :)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Just remember, please, that you can not confirm the identity of an iris by a photo and/or written description alone. If you think you have found a match for an unknown, you should purchase the potential match to grow side by side with your unknown in your own garden so that you can make comparisons of all physical features (not JUST the flower) and growth characteristics.

Laurie

This message was edited May 17, 2006 2:12 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Very good point.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

that is so true and I have really learned that lesson this year. I have iris that look quiet different in regard to color/shade compared with last year due to different weather conditions.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Just FYI, color is the very LAST thing anyone should try to compare using internet photos when trying to research possible matches for unknown irises. It's much more important to compare flower forms, markings, and patterns than color. Color is far too variable in living plants under different growing and lighting conditions, in either digital or hard copy photo formats, and in different browsers on different computer monitors. Color is the absolute least reliable aspect of identification in iris photos.

Laurie

I notice color changes in my own beds with the same clump of iris from year to year. "Words & Music" was cream last year & definitely peach this year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.