Question about Dividing Siberian Iris

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I've got a friend who is going to share some of her unnamed Sibs, if I do the digging. She isn't a gardener and just knew she had irises, I was thinking TBs but when I saw them, they are Sibs. The thing is, I have NO idea how to do this. These are really big, old established clumps, she says 8-10 years old. Can you just put a shovel in the side or back and cut a chunk out, like you can with daylilies, or am I going to need some heavier "equipment"??? I've only got 3 Sibs myself and they came as bare root divisions and if I remember correctly, the roots looked pretty tough.

Also, when is the best time to do this, they are in bloom now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Vicki

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I would wait and divide them in the Fall. However, as with any garden plant, you can get away with it earlier if you give them lots of TLC.

A sharpened shovel usually works fine. Just shove it down into the clump, but make sure you don't cut off all of the roots. If these are really old clumps, it's going to take some muscle. If you have a man that can help you out it would be better. I know someone who had to take a chainsaw to one of their clumps to get it apart. That's probably an extreme case, though.

Good luck!

Laura

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I thought I had heard someone mention an ax before!!!!! I checked with my friend again and these clumps are 15 years old!!!! I'm not sure what to take with me, LOL, shovels, axes... Oh boy, this sounds like it's going to be fun, NOT!!! Maybe I can bribe her DH or son to help out. I'm going over to look at them this week so I'll know which are the white and which are the purple. Fall will be much better for me too, they're going into a new bed and it's a loooong way from being done :-(
Thanks for the info and the luck :-)
Vicki

This message was edited May 16, 2006 9:20 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Vicki, I'd bribe someone too. Some sibs are easy to divide because they naturally expand and leave a hole in the center. I got some electric purple colored ones and had a very tough time cutting one in half. I finally got it with my shovel, but it was dangerous. My foot slipped off once.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I agree, billy, it can be dangerous. I was going to add earlier that if you're going to use a sharpened shovel, use thick gloves and wear long sleeves, pants and boots!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yikes, sounds like an double-batch brownie bribe will be in order :-) Thanks for the warnings too. I'll have to get my neighbor to sharpen my shovel, I don't think any of mine will be sharp enough to tackle this job....maybe I don't really need these sibs, LOL.
Vicki

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh yes you do. Laugh!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL, you're right :-)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Don't need the sibs? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Just make sure you get extra large clumps for all of your trouble. :0)

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

Once you see them bloom you will want them. When I was new to gardening I was given some and worked hard to separate each of the little bulbs so I could plant each one separately LOL do you know how many years it was before I seen a bloom! I love sibs and try to add new ones every few years I think I have about 12 different ones now but they don't take much room and are very striking in the garden they even get hubbys attention. Good Luck
KIm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.