wild roses

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm seeing those beautiful pink and red wild running roses all over the place and really want to get one (or some) for my steep bank. Is it against the law in Georgia to just stop and dig them out of the ditch? I'm not proud! sr

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I'd be careful about digging, unless you feel comfortable doing this. I've dug wild plants along the road in the past out in the country but I do it ever so fast. Cuttings would be a lot safer because you can always say you were getting some for bouquets.

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't see a problem with stopping to dig up some wild flowers as long as its a public roadside ditch. I do it all the time and cops pass me by. If you're afraid that someone may say something to you, park your car on the side so it blocks you and put your emergency lights on so it looks like you're having car trouble. Then dig!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have dug in both sc and georgia . i got my wild roses from ga. live on the border of both states. make sure you get a good root system with them and if lucky they may be places you can just cut the rooted runners off. thats what i did with one of mine. it touched dirt but was rooted already and i just cut it off the momma plant.

go for it.

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

I was given 10 bags of georgia wildflower mix at the tour de georgia. I forgot the name of the government program that is giving them out but they give out a large quantity to people. If I just remeber the name or website you may be able to order for some.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I get plants off the side of the road all the time. I have never had anyone ask me what I am doing. Most folks these days are in a hurry and don't have time to be nosey- lol!

Within the next few days, I'm going to take cuttings off of a huge pink rose that is growing in the wild behind my church. Y'all wish me luck that they root.

OK... I'm feeling brave now! I actually pass several BIG bunches of them out in the middle of nowhere... on my way to work, so I think I'll try there. I'd already decided to try for some roots.... and it sounds like that will be a good idea. Does DG have a bail bond service in case I get thrown in the pokey! lol Actually, my husband would probably think it was so funny, he'd laugh all the way to the courthouse to bail me out! I'll let you know how it goes.....sr

Well, I got my flowers this weekend, but I did ask permission before I started digging and the man was so nice... he gave me 3 tomato plants to go along with my roses. DH made a fence section in the front of the house and we planted the two root sections he dug out for me. I'm going to try rooting some cuttings I made too. Wish me luck!

Thumbnail by teateacher
Cordele, GA

I have a red rose with small flowers that I want to get out of the garden. It would appreciate that fence. Would you like a start of it?

Beth

Gosh, I'd love it. Thank you so much for offering. I'll be happy to reimburse you for packing and shipping if you can send it to me. I actually came through Cordele last weekend on my way to Florida. thanks, Sharon

Carrollton, GA(Zone 7b)

We have a mass of the things taking over the front of our yard by the road drainage ditch. I need to clear out the woods up there and build a fence to train mine on. I'm sure there's an overabundance of them.

Pictures of mine: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=wild%20rose&w=67264698%40N00&m=tags

Also, I've only seen pink ones around here. Do they come in any other colors?

This message was edited Jun 1, 2007 8:17 AM

The wild roses may be roses that transmit the rose rosette disease. Be careful!

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-620/450-620.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.