making indoor 4-ft long counter-type planters?

Falling Waters, WV(Zone 7a)

Any suggestions on my hope to make several 4-feet-long planters for indoors? I'd like to make 3 of them, probably 4ft by 16-18 inches wide by about 2 feet high/deep. I'll probably make the frames out of 2x4 with paneling on the sides. I just don't know what to use inside of them for the plant containers. I'd thought about buying some long plastic-type planters and creating the frames to their size. But then there's the issue of drainage etc, and what to put underneath.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You can make 2 wooden shelves with one sheet of plywood and 8 2"x4"x8'. This will make one planter 8 foot long by 2 foot deep and 6 foot high. Four of the 2x4 will be the 8 foot sides of the plywood shelves. The other four 2x4 will have 21 inches cut off the ends which will become the ends of the shelves. The other 75 inches becomes the four legs.

Glue and nail the cut plywood on the 2x4 frames and let dry for a few hours. Drill holes where you want the shelves to be mounted on the legs and on the shelf's frame. I use 1/4 inch carriage bolts to attach the legs to each shelf. I like to have the plywood down and the frame up since this helps prevent pots from sliding off (think about this before attaching the plywood to the frame since there is usually a better side).

Brace at least one leg to each shelf for rigidness (I used Strong Ties).

Hang lights off the bottom of each shelf with eye screws and S hooks (the floor becomes a third shelf). The top shelf can have lights hung over it by nailing a cross piece between each pair of legs and one 8 foot 2x4 nailed to the top of these cross pieces.

The shelf can be made for around $50. The lights would add another $75 or more if you use shop lights (cheapest available) and industrial tubes.

You can buy an extra 4 2x4 and make two units by cutting the shelves into 4 foot long sections.

I made 5 this past winter and for my daughter I made 2 of the 4 foot benches.

Here is a picture of two of the ones I made.

I added cheap aluminum serving pans to catch excess water and debris to save the wood since this picture. You can get 15 of them for around $10 at Sam's Club. It takes 7 of them to do one 8 foot shelf.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Thanks for taking the time and giving all the detail, hcmcdole. Do you then put the dirt and plants directly into the wood shelves? I think what I'm hoping to build is something more like a long island for against walls and as room dividers, 2 feet high with all the plants in the top, more like a counter of sorts, and probably at least 1 foot deep or more, for smaller tropical trees and plants, in together. Maybe sort of a miniature version of what one sees in some shopping-malls etc? I'd planned to build a frame of 2x4's and put paneling on the outsides, but I was trying to avoid planting directly in contact with the wood etc. I'd thought about making this to fit store-bought plastic window-boxes if there are no other options.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Look at these. My DH made it as a window box for the patio. Might work for you inside... I measured it to accommodate 9 pots that sit inside. The pots are 12" tall by 10" circumference (or thereabouts). I lined it with green lawn leaf bags cut open, but you could use some other liner.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Perhaps this idea will be useful to you. You will need one sheet of 3/4" plywood, 4 feet x 8 feet.

The planter is 2 feet high/deep, by 4 feet long, by 16 inches wide.

The left-over piece of plywood in the lower left corner of the image should be used as a center rib in the planter (about where the number "3" is in the image) to keep the sides from bowing out. It is the same size as the end pieces.

The interior could be coated with epoxy, or plastic sheeting, or sealed copper sheeting, or just polyurethane.

Thumbnail by cicada

Thanks, cicada! Nice design, thanks for the illustration as well. My only thought of concern is drainage for roots. I've been a horrible over-waterer and have learned to leave some drainage inside (perlite etc) and beneath pots. Do you think that your design, with proper attention to the amount of watering done, will still be a healthy environment for indoor gardening?

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, I think the planter would be fine for indoor gardening.

You might also consider laying a layer of gravel in the bottom of the planter for drainage before adding the soil mix. The addition of some sand with the potting soil and perlite would also aid in drainage.

I had another idea while waiting for something at Walmart last night-- $5 - $7.50 large storage bins! It would make it easy to take plants outdoors or bring them in, too. I think I'll build a less hefty frame out of 2" x 2" and put some leftover wall paneling around them for a box effect. Hmmm..... maybe Big Lots would be even less expensive!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.