Help, need alternative to grass for micro lot!

Lake Dallas, TX

I decided to go with pine bark mulch and large paver stones for my micro lot back yard. But our dog is going to the bathroom in the bark and then it blends in and we have a hard time seeing it! I'm now back to my original thought of pea gravel. Only my wife hates that idea and thinks if we ever move no one will want a house with gravel for a back yard. So I dont know where that leaves me. I'm wondering if I should just plant grass around the paver stones and hopefully i'll be able to mow it with a weed eater instead of lugging the mower back there. I'm not a huge fan of bermuda or st. augie so is there an alternative for N Texas zone 7 that is fine bladed like a fescue? I planted some Scott's drought tolerant fescue in the front in a few spots and its awesome. Only I dont think it will last the summer here in Texas. Is buffalo or zoysia grass a good idea? I want something fine and thin that is easily cut with a weed eater or even garden shears. Hey you laugh, but the sections with fescue are easily cut with scissors. The back yard is a southern exposure with no shade until around 3 when our neighbors house shields us.
Please post comments about these options.
1. Scott's drought tolerant fescue- Is this a cool season only grass?
2. Buffalo or Zoysia grass - I cant even find a picture of what these look like.
3. Pea gravel, sand, crushed granite, would this scare away potential buyers?

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!