Need some ID's

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Y'all are so good at IDing these Irises how's about a few more? I received these three tall bearded Irises from a friend who didn't know their varieties. Since this is my first year of real gardening (I previously dabbled) I'd like to keep track of everything I've planted and will plant from now on. I think bearded Irises are one of the most beautiful flowers ever created. OK, take a shot at these...

Thumbnail by frausnow
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's another angle of this one. I forgot to mention that I did try to ID them my self through the plant files, but when I saw how many varieties there were and that it took an hour to get through about six pages because this site is so slow sometimes, I gave up on that idea.

Thumbnail by frausnow
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

The next one:

Thumbnail by frausnow
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

and the last one:

Thumbnail by frausnow
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I think the first one is 'Coral Chalice'

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/25970/

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I'm in love with CC!!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Look at Immortality for similarity to your second iris.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/6945/

boojum - I recognized the CC so quickly because it was one I got last year. I can't wait for it to bloom!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm wondering if Oktoberfest could be the last one? It's hard to tell from pictures, and I don't have Oktoberfest in my garden. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/35112/

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow! I think you hit the nail on the head with the first two, Doodlebug and Patrob! Not quite sure about the Oktoberfest though. There's a great similarity, but not quite enough and I don't know the proper terminology to explain what I mean. I can only tell by looking at it.

Thanks for your help. Any other ideas on the third one?

JoAnn

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree on the third one. The white markings on the haft on yours seem greater than those on the photos of Oktoberfest. And the falls on yours don't look quite as wide. I am not an iris expert by any means, but I do love them! All three of yours are very pretty! I have Immortality in my garden, and when it chooses to bloom, it is remarkable!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

It's hard to identify iris just from a photo. My computer monitor may see these blooms totally different than yours. Where did you buy them? If it's a catalog or website, they are probably still selling the same ones. With thousands of possibilites (and many looking identical!) , I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

The third one looks like my Frizzy Lizzy

Shirley

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

How bout Quite or Voltage for the 3rd one.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I got it folks! Talked with the person who gave it to me and he remembered it is the reblooming "Hindenberg"! He actually remembered several months ago, but we haven't talked since then. I called him to let him know it had bloomed and how lovely it was. I was thrilled to pieces when I found out what it was. Thanks for all your help and clearing up the mystery on the other two.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/35279/index.html

I'm starting to note origin in my database. it sometimes takes 3 years to see a bloom on a new TB. If I was sent the wrong one, I would prefer knowing what it really should be.

Wanda,
I know what you mean. In my database, I call it "Plant Source." It is very frustrating to me to wait years for a bloom and then have it be the wrong flower. I have one that my first comment when I saw the flower was "I didn't plant that one." Well I did but I thought it was something else. I have also started tracking first bloom times so I can see if certain vendor's irises are more consistently blooming in the first year or if it is taking several years.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Er, since I have found out the ID's how do I close this thread?
JoAnn

We all just stop talking or you can click "unwatch thread". I have "watched " threads that pop back up a year or two later when someone new finds & comments on them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.