Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Persicaria orientalis

blooming today.. I love these old fashioned plants that re-seed every year.

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That is so pretty! I just got some seed for this year so I'm hoping I'll have good luck with it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm curious, how tall is the plant in the photo. I just planted some seeds of this and my package (from select seeds) says they grow 8-10'. I can hardly believe it. Have you grown this before?

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

These are probably about 4 feet.. They got mowed down this spring or they would be taller by now..

Larkie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Larkie,

I grew them when I lived up north (MN) and they wouldn't bloom until fall. I tried them again this year (FL) and they bloomed in a couple of months. Right now they are not growing at all, they have made seed. I was hoping they would send off side shoots and grow larger. I am reluctant to cut them back, I don't want to lose them, any tips?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't really have any tips.. These grow like weeds here in south GA..I'm surprised they don't in Fl...They are in an area that gets no special treatment..They just reseed each year.. Maybe your's are a different variety.. I know the wild Knotweed doesn't get all that tall.. I have it all around my pond area.

Larkie

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Is this the same as Polygonum orientalis, a plant classified as an exotic and invasive species?
See http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=6226

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Yes, it is. I love it. I love a lot of "invasive" plants.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Zeppy,

I just got seeds for this plant and haven't started them yet. I have heard they are hard to start by seed, is this true do you know?

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine started from seed very easily..They were winter sown several years ago.. Now they re-seed freely.

Larkie

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Sigh, mine did not. I also winter sowed.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks u2. I'm zone 5 so mine may not come back either. I just soaked mine in fish emulsion for almost ten hours and planted them directly in the ground. I'll let you know if I have any success.

Thanks again.

Megan

Selma, AL

I LOVE THIS. I GREW THE VARIGATED VERSION THIS YEAR. BEAUTIFUL. IT IS ABOUT 50'' TALL IN FULL SUN. I HAVE SOME SHORTER IN A LITTLE SHADE.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.