It's finally happened!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Niobe and rose cl. Iceburg blooming together. I've still got a way to go to get it like I want it - It's still early too. They both have lots of buds. But I'm so excited. Just like in the books.

Thumbnail by doss
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Doss!! How long have you had them planted together?

Deb

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The rose was an own-root so it took forever. This is their third year. That's how the rule goes, right?

If I had to do it again though I think that I would have planted two clematis, especially with such a big rose as cl. Iceburg.

They are on a pillar though and I learned that the way to get roses to bloom all the way up the pillar was to take the canes and loosely wind them around the outside of the pillar. Otherwise the roses bloom mostly at the top.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

They look very happy and healthy!

What is that light blue/purple flower in the background?
-T

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's a rose of sharon.

I used Messenger for the first time this year and even though it's expensive, I'm sold. The roses look so much better than they ever have before.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Your Rose/Clemmie combo is stunning, Doss. Well worth waiting for, huh? :~) Is it too late to introduce another clem into the mix?
Is your Rose of Sharon the Alyogyne huegelii? Mine that I grew from seed is finally blooming, started blooming in the winter and has not stopped. But it is only blooming on the ends and the stems are bare of leaves. When do you trim yours? Or do they fill out on their own?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, it was certainly worth the wait.

My mind is a blank. It does only bloom on the ends of it's stems. I think that I prune it in the fall but it blooms most of the year. I'll have to go back to my notes. Mine is about 4 years old now and the mild winter really helped it.

I'll have to go and see if there's room to add another clematis. My yard is just packed. Iceberg might have not been the best choice for a pillar as it gets so big but I couldn't resist this combination.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Very pretty. I like the light and dark color combination!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Never thought that I would complain about a clematis blooming down at the bottom but niobe is doing just that. I want it to bloom on the body of the rose. It probably will next year. Let's hope so.

I know, I get wonderful and want more!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.