Shapeable Fragrant Shrubs

La Mirada, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a section of my garden to fragrant plants and I'm looking for advice on how to fill a difficult space. While height and width are effectively unlimited, I need something I can restrain to a 2'-3' depth. It's against a wall, so I can espalier if necessary. There's a walkway going by, so prickly stuff is out (but something that bruises well would be excellent).

Right now I'm debating between: Michelia Champaca x alba (White Sandalwood), Osmanthus Fragrans (Sweet Olive), Viburnum Carlesii compactum (Compact Koreanspice), and Edgeworthia Chrysantha (Golden Daphne). I've also considered Aglaia Odorata (Chinese Paper Plant) and Eupatorium Havanense (White Mistflower), but I don't know how they'd fare in my zone. Does anyone have experience with any of these (or others I might not know about -- I already have Star Jasmine, Orange Jessamine, and Wintersweet), especially how well they take to vigorous shaping and pruning?

It's a full sun area against an east-facing wall that's painted a dark brown. I'm in Zone 22, with heavy clay soil that I amend the dickens out of at the drop of a hat.

Please help!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

How about angel wing jasmine? Jasmine tortuosum or winter jasmine would fit as well. Consider Thunbergia fragrans as well.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if others have had the problem with OS but mine hates to be pruned. Also mine likes afternoon shade. The leaves turn brown in full sun. Drainage may be a problem too. I wont say its the wrong choice but I think you would be better off with another plant.
If it were me I would really look into Aglaia Odorata Mine holds up to a good pruning and isn’t too picky about its soil drainage or lack of. I have never heard of zone 22 but if you don't get below 10* you should be fine. The scent is wonderful and it blooms almost all the time.
Good luck!
Caren

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Abelias are another no-fuss, wonderful-smelling shrub that don't mind pruning at all. They come in many sizes and some- if not most- of them may stay evergreen in your warm clime. They'll grow in almost any light condition and soil too.

La Mirada, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry on the zone, I use the Sunset zones since they take into account more than just how cold it gets. As I recall, I'm in USDA zone 9.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

so what did you decide to go with?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Isn't a Daphne trimmable? Say, a Burkewood Daphne?

La Mirada, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm going with the Aglaia Odorata. It sounds particularly suited to the limited space and my wretched soil

Oakton, VA(Zone 7a)

AlexK, I'd love it if you'd post a picture of the Aglaia Odorata when you've planted it. I'm not familiar with that plant. I have several Osmanthus Fragrans (Sweet Olive). The cultivar I have is 'Goshiki'. Their common name, at least in my area, is false holly. That's because the little thorny things like holly leaves. I'm not sure I'd put them near where people are walking.

Here's a picture from my journal of the leaves: http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/showimage.php?eid=79897

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

sdagutis, the Osmanthus does okay there in Oakton? (I'm from Reston)

La Mirada, CA(Zone 9b)

sdagutis, I'll be glad to. I've ordered one and hopefully I've managed to time it so it'll arrive just before the upcoming 3-day weekend (fingers crossed). Happily, a rainstorm rolled in last night and saved me the trouble of watering the prepping gypsum and compost into the ground.

Do you have any pics of your Sweet Olive? It sounds similar to a pair of plants I have along my driveway. I recall them as being called 'dwarf natal plums,' but common names for some plants seem to be a dime a dozen.

Oakton, VA(Zone 7a)

Zeppy, we planted several Goshikis in front of a large northern red oak. They get dappled sunlight throughout the morning and early afternoon. They seem to be doing fine. But in checking my journal, I find that mine are Osmanthus heterophyllus, not fragrans. Mine do bloom in the spring -- small white flowers -- but they pretty insignificant.

You must be right down the road from me. I work in Reston. :)

AlexK, here's a picture of my Osmanthus. I apologize for making a mistake; they're not the same type as what you ordered. I can't wait to see your pictures.

This message was edited May 23, 2006 6:49 AM

Thumbnail by sdagutis
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Here are some Pics
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60784/

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Aglaia_odorata

Alex, where are you ordering from?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I am very, very tempted to replace nandinas in the front of my house, with mock orange. I have followed this interesting discussion.

wonder how hard it'd be to remove nandina, meaning, will seedlings keep popping up long after main plant is removed.

Osmanthus would have been a great choice also. I have that, too, but planted it too far to enjoy its wonderful fragrance.

La Mirada, CA(Zone 9b)

I've ordered from Flora Exotica and am now biting my nails and pacing the floor waiting. (It hasn't been very long, I'm just not that good at this patience thing).

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Goodnight!! They have some high prices! I hope you enjoy your plants! Please do send pics when you finish!

well, I didn't buy the mock orange but I did buy the osmanthus. Hope to yank the nandina out over the weekend. Does anybody know if nandina can be transplanted? If so I would like to put it by the curb for anybody to take.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Vossner, I hate to say anything bad about any plant but this plant is like return of the living dead! It just wont die!!! I never knew its name but the only way I got rid of this plant was to move LOL!! I pulled it out roots and all several times but somehow it just came back. Kinda freaky really. Im sure you will be happier with you new OS! If mine was happier with me it would be my favorite plant. I just cant get enough of that smell!
Caren

caren,are you taking about the nandina coming to haunt me? yes I;m prepared for that one

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL! Good Luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.