Speaking of Invasive.....Trumpet Vine Advise

Saint Ignace, MI(Zone 5a)

My latest attempt to secure a particular plant has created a problem that is literally giving me nightmares. In order to meet the minimum dollar amount required I ordered one trumpet vine plant. I sort of remembered reading that it was somewhat invasive but I did need a colorful vine for a new retaining wall we put in. Looking at the size and colors made me drool - I figured I could grow it in a container and pretend it was annual - just throw it away at the end of the season... Now after reading how extremely invasive it can be I'm wondering if I should go ahead with my original plan or just toss the thing (securely in the trash) when my order arrives.

Since I don't know how it spreads I really am having nightmares about the thing taking over not just our yard but our neighbors yard as well. Maybe this will teach me to do some research BEFORE making my purchases. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Rhonda

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Rhonda, maybe where you live, you are farther north than I am, it won't give you too many problems. I live near Detroit and mine is very invasive. I took one plant north to my mother-in-laws place(near West Branch) and it is very slow growing there. The winters are much colder there and more snow than we get here. It has not increased in size in over 4 years. Hopefully you won't have anything to worry about.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy. Do you know how this guy spreads? I'm thinking that if it spreads through the root system I'll be ok. Since I was planning to grow it in a container I can always manage to keep the roots contained. I might be in trouble if it spreads via some other system.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it does spread through the roots. The container may be the answer. Wish I would have thought of that, but at the time I planted it, I didn't know it was so invasive.

That's what I'm going to do Cindy. Its just such a pretty flower that I'd hate not to plant it - have to at least give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again for sharing.
Rhonda

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Rhonda, Definitely put that trumpet vine in a container. Just a note, it might not bloom for the first couple of years, that was my experience. Also, if you want more info, check out the forum, "Invasive plants" on this website, there are A LOT of threads concerning trumpet vine.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Rhonda....

I live 50 miles east of West Branch, closer to Lake Huron, and I planted a Trumpet Vine. Needless to say, it grew and created lots of green leaves, but no flowers. After the 4th year I threatened the plant to hack it down or worse yet spray an entire spray bottle of ROUND UP on it if it did not bloom......Well it did not bloom. I dug it up, and by the way, the root system went clear to China, and I got rid of it. Point being....I don't think it will be invasive up where you are because of the weather conditions.

Good Luck!

Deann

Deann: Boy, I don't know if this thing is going to be worth the trouble or not. I'm sort of into instant gratification - No...I'm really into instant gratification - I don't know if I want to wait for four years for any plant to bloom. Maybe I'll find something else for the location I was thinking of and stick the trumpet vine off someplace else - but I'm definately using a pot.

gardenbeads: I did check out the invasive plants forum here - thats one of the reasons I started having so many questions about the trumpet vine.

Thanks guys for all the info. - rhonda

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I bought 5 of these from the Arenac Conservation Department along with the trees and shurbs I bought. After reading how invasive they are I planted them far far away from the house. They're planted at the base of very large ash trees. If they live they can climb up the trees and spread around the woods all they want to. The mower will take care of them in the grassy areas. I hope at least one of them lives and blooms for the birds and will look pretty from the road.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW. (sigh) I KILL Trumpet Vines. I've killed 3 now in 3 years. I had no idea it could invade nything except the gates of plant heaven! Hmmm...maybe it doesn't like sand?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

pjadams.........hey, don't feel bad......I kill Russian Sage.....and when I tell people that, their immediate response is......."How do you kill Russian Sage"...so it just goes to show you......some people can grow stuff and some can't......

Deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow Deanne, the trumpet vine we planted at our cottage up in Hale just won't grow. Maybe the deer are keeping it trimmed.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

hemlady.........that could very well be.....when I planted mine, it was planted growing on the house right in front.....and the fact that I have two German Shepard dogs over 100 lbs each may act as a deterrent.............They keep the critters out of my flowers and garden pretty much.........along with Liquid Fence....that's my night time guard....

hemlady, when are you going to Hale again....Are you coming up Memorial weekend?? Have you seen what the Hale Garden Club has done to the "little downtown" area......Nice group of ladies.....they came out to my garden club (Tawas Bay) and were asking for suggestions on beautification for their little town. They were lucky to have obtained a grant to do it.

Deann
Deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Hale has really changed. It is a wonderful little town now. Yes, I have seen how nice it is now. I am not sure when we are coming up, but I will let you know. My plan was to come up the day of Dori's get together and stop at her place on the way up, but we have a wedding the night before and hubby says it is very unlikely that we will go up the next day. I am a little disappointed because I was planning to go to the plant swap.

Channing, MI(Zone 3a)

If you are wary of trumpet vine, you'll run screaming from knapweed, Japanese knotweed (wild honeysuckle), and Jerusalem artichoke. This last one is really a sunflower, the name is a corruption of "girasol" meaning it turns with the sun. But the root system forms corms about the size of a Roma tomato that taste like potatoes and contain inulin, a starch diabetics can use better than the glucose in potatoes. That's the good news. The bad news is even the tiniest piece of root left in the soil will morph into a root system and begin sending up more sunflowers in a year. It is virtually impossible to contain or get rid of without poisoning the soil.
The gardenr who supplied some roots to me advised planting each of them in coffee cans or #10 cans to prevent invasion and that was good advice.
Maybe it'll work for your trumpet vine.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I have 2 Trumpet vines and we just mow over the suckers regularly during the growing season with the lawn mower to keep them in check. Never had a problem with it.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wish I could mow over them but my yard has no grass and is all daylilies. They pop up all over in my daylily beds. About once a month I take my pruning shears and cut them all down to the ground.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Well! I'm the one who supposedly kills trumpet vines. It just disappeared Last yeay. Yesterday I was wandering my herb garden and found it! Popping up everywhere, all around my cedar swing! YAY! I love trumpet vine!
But now I have a new invasive monster...Spiderwort. Ick. I don't even LIKE it and it's totally filled my narrow front bed. I pull and pull, but the monster refuses to give up.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Ooooh, I used to have some Spiderwort, I am glad I got rid ot it in time before it became invasive.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

PJ and hemlady......I have a horror story about spiderwort....I promised Tootsie some of mine because she did not have purple......well I should have divided that plant a few years ago...it was so tight I had to dig a path over 4 foot long and 3 foot deep to get to it....and then i fell into the darn hole, and bruised my arm and scratched it......needless to say, I will never forget that *&^%$ plant......

Deann

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

My spiderwort is fuschia colored, and I hate that color. It makes me nauseated to look at it. I betcha anything it loves sand.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

When I have any plant that sends up suckers or spreads too much I pull them up and throw them away. I give them away as I am able but I have too much stuff to find homes for.
We need to remember these are plants not puppies. ;-)

Thats weird on Spiderwort...mine doesn't spread?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.