Zoya Grass

Racine, WI

Can anyone give me some insight into Zoya grass? I have a large back yard that I hate mowing. I live in Wisconsin, and I've heard Zoya grows slow, and crowds out weeds. It actually sounds like a weed to me. I don't want to plant a weed in my yard, but I do want a slow growing lawn.

Thumbnail by drizzit
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

love angel in snow i tried it several yrs agonot one plug lived wored grew.. but lots lots swear by it...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My neighbor used to have it. Her lawn was always almost weed free. The next people that bought her house did not like the fact that it is very slow to green up in the spring. Everyone else had nice green lawns in April and May and theirs was still brown, so they dug it up and replaced it with some type of sod. Now the lawn is green earlier, but does have more weeds. I'm not sure if it took less mowing than normal or not.

Susan

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have spots of it in the lawn and it is ok. Don't know where it came from, probably seeds in bags of leaves we take from a local town each fall. I don't think you could call it a weed by any means. My personal favorite is a type of blue grass that greens up early, stays short, reseeds well and is spreading. Will be a great lawn when it finally takes over completely.

Hey, how'd ya get that little pink flower to grow in the snow? I want one, too. LOL.

She's a cutttttiiiieeeee!!!!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Zoyia will brown up very late in Wisc. It is also invasive. Once it really gets rolling it will be into and under everything. I have known it to get under a blacktop driveway and crack it up. I grow Kentucky 31 because that is about all that will grow in the natural soils of the Ozarks. One other thing it will dull the blade on your lawn mower faster than anything else. It also has a problem with mat. You cannot cut and let the clippings lay for years on end.

Ohh one other thing when you do cut it you better have a real strong mower. I used to cut one for some people that if the blade was twice as long as the cut it would choke out my 6 hp mower. Adn i could not mnake a full 21 inch wide sweep.

If you have shaded areas in your yard it will not grow in well if at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.