a row of Lucifers

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here's a shot i took this afternoon, they still aren't all blooming yet, but getting there. the one thing i don't like about this plant is that the blooms don't fall cleanly from the stalk. i pull the individual blooms when they're spent.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

trackinsand, you can get many self-cleaning hybrids now. and, you know, if you wanted to switch out your lucifers for those i'd be glad to take them off your hands for ya ;)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

whoa, down boy! give me a chance anyway. LOL i only planted them in february so i'm not tired of them yet. if i do get tired of them, you'll be the first to know. i know about the self-cleaning types, i was going for the gaudy and not thinking!

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

haha, ok ok i'll calm down. i dont have any dwarf varieties of cannas. im really attracted to the tallest ones. they truely make a statement. butttt i would always be up for a trade if you were interested once come winter. i have to pull all mine anyways so im hoping i can make a few trades once i lift them.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

seriously, i will consider it! i don't know if you could tell from the picture, but these guys are planted in a very narrow strip of ground (one side beyond the curb is the driveway and the other side is a row of stepping stones to deflect the roof run-off). it's a difficult planting sight. anyway, as these start taking off i will have to dig some up, i'm sure. they will get over-crowded in no time in that small space.

i have some canna musifolia coming next week. do you have experience with them?

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

no, i have no experience with them but they do look wonderful!
i have 9 known canna and 1 i wont be sure of untill it blooms. but i would definatly trade for either, or both if you end up having extra of the musifolia.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ok. d-mail me with a note re: canna and i will put it in my folder for plant trades. i hope the musifolia really do well here. we have a very windy site and if i put them up against the wall (behind the Lucifers) i'm afraid they won't get enough sun. the Lucifers do, but we have a wide overhang behind them. i was asking if you knew because i wonder if they'll "stretch" towards the sun and i wonder, too, how wind resistant they are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.