Conifers, Trees, Shrubs,"Stuff" From My Yard Today - May 13.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Acer palmatum 'Omurayama' - arrived yesterday. Nice tree. Great Price.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

(Walking through my yard, inside and outside the fence)

Here we go...

My yard is full facing south sun with the usual nooks and crannies for eastern exposure Rhododendrons and stuff, with a long narrow garden area that's a shaded exposure mainly filled with hostas on the north side of my garage and home.

Starting on the South Eastern Side of my alley/garage (Full Sun) and going west around the fence and wrapping around inside my yard ending at the north side of the garage and house with the last photo being of an Acer palmatum 'Seiryu'.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

same area

Picea glauca 'Pendula' in the center of blooming creeping phlox, clematis and a rhododendron.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Clematis 'Blue Moon' - same area

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Clematis 'Blue Moon' - just opening

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Juniperus x media 'Daub's Frosted'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

same area

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper' - same area and now going west along the street.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Before I go west, here are a couple conifer cultivars in that same area.

Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' - foliage

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus nigra 'Walter'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Juniperoides Aurea'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Now going west along the street...

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

street planting

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus strobus 'Planting Field'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

southwest corner

(2)Picea pungens 'Glauca Procumbens'
tree in center: Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'
left and yellow, another Juniperus x media 'Daub's Frosted'
Clematis 'Asao'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Clematis 'Asao'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

wrapping around that corner to the west side - That beautiful Juniperus x media 'Daub's Frosted' with others to follow.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

next, Pinus strobus 'Merrimack'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus strobus 'Hershey'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Then an area I need to add shrubs on other side of sidewalk/gate so entering the front yard and going around the south side first (to end at the north as I mentioned earlier). Plus that entire west side of my home included in the following:

Photo from northwest corner:

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Azalea 'Golden Lights' - deciduous introduction from U. of Minnesota

Thumbnail by conifers
Thornton, IL

Dax - WoW! I'm so impressed with your collection. I think my favorite is Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper'. Are most of these dwarf or groundcover types? I'm in the market for a dark green conifer, to complement a little bluestem grass I have. Now, the plan is to make a small berm with a boulder and the two plants. I was going to plant a miscanthus on the top of the berm, and then do a prostrate evergreen groundcover, but changed my mind. I have decided to divide the grass instead and use it in container plantings.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Blacklab, thanks for the comprehensive cyber-tour! Almost feel like I've been there now. So, what was the great price on the maple? Enquiring (and probably jealous) minds want to know!

Guy S.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Prairiegirl, Hi Guy,

I figured you guys disn't want to see the entire yard so I stoppped last night. Maybe I'll finish what I intended to do from the very beginning.

A little dark conifer that isn't prostrate or ground hugging - I'd hit up your local nursery for a miniature or dwarf conifer that fits the bill. Otherwise, you could do mail order. And to be honest, I don't know what anyone other than Stanley and Sons Nursery (Wholesale) is selling or Coenosium Gardens (Mail Order Catalogue). Sorry.

Guy that tree can be your's for the wonderful price of 200 dollars (if you buy it from me, with a 95 dollar increase). Amazingly so, shipped from Oregon to Illinois - total cost: $105.00 even. The tree was 35 dollars and the shipping of course being 70. Total shipping weight, 70 pounds.

It is for scionwood, *Hint*.

Later,

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Prairiegirl,

I forgot to mention that "yes" most of my stuff is dwarf, some fast intermediates (6-12" per year), and then I have a Dawn Redwood and an Acer palmatum 'Seiryu' that put out two plus feet per year. The Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' also will have years where it too puts on two feet or more worth of growth per year.

Here's the next photo in the lineup showing that Northwest Corner with the Acer palmatum 'Seiryu':

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Now looking the other direction (across the inside sidewalk) - The bed on the left with Azalea 'Rosy Lights' (Minnesota Intro.) that will be centered/transplanted after it blooms.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I think you guys get the idea - we're going along the inside of the fence with a few photos from beds on the left of the turf.

Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' - budded and ready to bloom in a few weeks or less.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Also two Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana' on each side of the gate. 'Malonyana' said to be, 'The hardy Italina Cypress' for colder climates. At Twenty feet tall, it will only be two feet wide at the base.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

'Malonyana' spring foliage

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

A strip of perennials occupied by Clematis on the other side of the fence.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

That variegated Iris (sporting bud stalks):

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Temporarily planted in that perennial bed - Juniperus scopulorum 'Snow Flurries'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Sporting it's yellow variegation over blue - 'Snow Flurries'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

A small slow-growing plant that's a must have: Picea abies 'Pusch' - red cones produced at the tips of spring growth.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I lost a Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar' so a hole and then this gem of a dwarf conifer: Picea engelmannii 'Compact'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Across from those and up against my home: Larix decidua 'Lanark'...a witches' broom found by a friend of mine about when I was born.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Break time...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.