Recommendation for a small Japanese Maple?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm looking for a small (less than 10 feet) spreading or weeping Japanese Maple that is green in the summer. Any leaf shape is fine. It will get full sun.

Any recommendations?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Knowing how you like unusual stuff how about germains giration... I have a new one this year it is a keeper IMHO...does have a yellowish tint in full sun so far but it is smaller and so far really COOL!!!...Also am in love with my berrima bridge ..Although hard to find it is a keeper too but may not suit your fancy since unlike other JM's that are red in spring and green in summer this one is the opposite but I don't think bright red ...mine is just turning a twinge of bronze now in partial shade although it can easily take full sun...don't know how red it will become but assume in full sun more but I can't see it being like say a dragon or fireglow ar the like I'd expect it to be bronzish...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

David, leave to you to come up with something wonderful. Thanks so much! Germaine's Gyration is one that I would have in a second but the nursery that has it says that it needs shade here. Octopus would be nice too - same problem. Do you have your GG in full sun?

I haven't come across Berrima Bridge. Do you have a photo of it? I have a problem in the the space I'm thinking about is next to a planting of three Betula Crimson Frost. With that much red foliage already there I thought that perhaps I should stay with green summer foliage. If they weren't there I'd have no trouble with a red tree.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

In your area it may need a little shade ..that i don't know... but most info I've read on GG says full sun ok..thats where mine is but since its been friigin cold rainy and cloudy lately i have no idea how it will take 90+ degree sun ltr this summer but it doesn't look tender thats for sure..I think you would be OK but you know your area better than I do ...As far as berrima bridge...the only photos I have seen are on the eastwoods dvd...... it also is suppose to take full sun to part shade..it is more disected though so I would be a little more concerned but I think it would be ok ...from the eastwoods pics my description of bronze in summer is about right although fall color is red which may nix it... another possible is spring delight ..it is really differnt as far as leaf shape you should be able to find a pic of it...it is green with some bronze to red edges...you octo would be fine and meets your specs and they are readily available ...as far as any JM is other than "da usual suspects" bloods , crimson Q's etc... David

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I will try to shoot a pic and post it of my BB it is young though and "caged" so the pic won't be great but should give you some idea...the only ones I know that have it are greers ( call don't email them they NEVER answer emails da bums!!!) but you probably have others in your 'stable' out there in JM country... but it is not common it is from new zealand ( or Australia..not sure) and is relativly new. David

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Here are a couple of pics from the nursery yesterday for consideration. First is 'Aoba Jo'.

This one is a better pic of a pretty mature tree, about 3-4 ft tall plus container. It is compact, but not as much as "Lions Head" Shishigashira, but caught my eye. It's shape was loosely structured, thought the pic doesn't do it justice.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is a more upright form, probably not what you are looking for, LOL, but it was so pretty and this gives me an excust to post it. 'Orange Dream'. Sorry about the pic/lighting. It was late morning and the sun was overhead. The tree just glowed in that light, which was really neat. It has dark rusty brown branches, with the contrasting leaf color.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Oh, and the 'shirasawanum' might be a consideration, depending on how tall it can get. Or, of course one of my favorites, Tsuma Gaki. Here is an updated pic of the leaves, which are lightening up now, but the tips are still reddish, not so dark. The shape of this tree is just gorgeous, definite branching, stately but small.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for all of the photos and the comments. I really appreciate it. The Tsuma Gaki is beautiful. All I could find were photos of it while it's new leaves bent down. I'm writing down Aoba Jo to go and look into. Orange Dream will definitely get too big here.

I'll talk to the nursery about the Germaine's Gyration again. I'd pick it in a second if I didn't have the sun problem.

Has anyone seen an Ao Shime No Uchi? It is related to Koto No Ito but is supposed to be more pendulous.

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Doss,

I have been looking at Ao Shime No Uchi too. I have it bookmarked for consideration in these two places. It's a really good looking tree:

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/a/acpanu.htm

http://www.stanleyandsons.com/productdisplay.cfm?product=ACR%201530

But I am also really drawn to A.sieboldianum ‘Sode no uchi’

Great looking leaf, gets to about 6-8 feet.

Check it out here: http://www.japanesemaples.com/catalog/index.php?id=2&page=6

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

ao looks a bit large for you...as fast and as large as trees on your Ponderosa those evalds photos would scare me!!!.... whats the problem with koto?? not pendulous enough??? ..it would seem to be right otherwise or do you akready have one ot two??? D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, Stanley and sons says that the ao gets to 18 feet tall. I don't think that I can do that one. I am thinking that a more weeping form might be easier to keep sort than an upright but I love the leaf form on the Sode no Uchi.

I have a Koto No Ito and I LOVE it. In fact it may be my favorite tree. But it's only about 30 feet away from where I want to put this other tree. Landscape wise it would be the perfect thing to put there. I would like a more spreading tree though and it's always fun to have something different.

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

doss, have you checked out ‘Filigree’ (click on the picture at: http://www.japanesemaples.com/catalog/index.php?id=2&page=4 )

It's mounding and has a great looking leaf.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I had ruled out Filigree because it's variegated and those don't generally tolerate sun but your link said that they could be grown in full sun. I know that my nursery carries it. I'm going to look at also and Kihachijo and Kuraba Yama. The one at the nursery has the leader cut out of it (the shipper chopped it in moving it) but if I want it small that might now be such a bad thing. I'll ask again about the Germaine's. Just love that name.

They have a Tsuma gaki also so I'll look at that. The others they have are Murasaki Kiyohime, Sao Shika, Waterfall, Corallinium, Jiro Shidare and Mino Yatsubusa that might fill the bill. What do you think?
Photos at
http://www.carlmontnursery.com/product.asp?product_id=575

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

doss, I really like the Kihachijo!

Isn't waterfall the same as 'viridis'? It is lovely, and I have a tiny baby in a container that I plan to keep that way. It has about 4 little branches on it and is still putting out new leaves for the spring. My only complaint is that most people don't prune them so they get overgrown, in my opinion. I like the weepers opened up a bit so that the air gets through and you can see the structure. I am eyeballing my 'shirasawanum' for a bit of opening up too. Although it isn't green, for something truly different, you might want to consider 'baby lace' (pics in my 'nursery' thread).

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Went to the nursery today and saw them all. It was a hard choice and I appreciate all the help. Went and visited the Germaine's and Gary (Nurserydude) at Carlmont Nursery said that it would grow in sun but it would look weary toward the end of the summer.

If you like a nice open tree, Kihachijo is for you. It's very layered and open. Small, only growing to 6 feet tall and wide. I loved it.

I have to admit that Tsuma Gaki won out though. The leaves are so exquisite. It still had red edges on the leaves although it's the middle of May. I'll post a photo of it when I get it. The nursery is hardening it for me so I'll get it delivered in a couple of weeks.

Thank you all so much. You've been a great help. Someday though when I find a shady spot, I'm going to get a Germaine's. Too bad this place gets sun all day.

Can't wait to see the pics...and I am SOOO jealous, LOL!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You got yours first! Mine won't be here for a couple of weeks because I've asked the nursery to harden it for me so I won't have to do it. I have to take the lorapetalum out too.

I will be sure to post the tree as soon as I can and again when I get it in the ground.

I don't have one, the pics I have posted are from the local nurseries! Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, shoot. Perhaps there's one in your future? I sure hope so. It is there sitting and waiting at the local nursery for you.

There is definitely one in my future, just not this year. I recently had a landscaping plan done, and I'm spending a lot of time absorbing it and figuring out what I like, and what I may wish changed. (so far not much). It has a lot of maples, and I am thinking about their placement and what I would change...if any. I planted one this spring that is located differently in the plan, so I'm considering if it will stay where it is or be moved and if so when. The toughest thing is the time phasing for me. Almost everything I have will be moved and planted in new places to better blend with other things. We had some very large trees removed early this spring, so the lighting in my yard has changed. Gotta do some "cogitating" over the plan while I do the rest of my spring work. So much to consider, but it is lovely to have a goal/plan in mind, which I have never done.

Laura

Jacksonville, NC

Golden Emblers

http://home.earthlink.net/~jensfarm/id3.html

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

largosmom, normally I really take my time before planting my JMs. I live on just 1/2 acre, and I currently have 8 in the ground and several in pots. My general rule is to leave the little tree in the pot for at least a year. I then move it around to various places to determine (1) where I like it, and (2) where it likes it. Many times I have thought I had determined the ideal spot for the tree's needs regarding sun/shade, etc., only to find that it didn't do well there. My toting it around in a pot for a year really helps me make the right decision before permanent planting.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Irma...you have a good system and more patience than I ... although you still could get screwed if the tree grows differntly than you think it will...and pot grown stuff does seem to react differntly to conditions including light and moisture than planted out stuff...and the stuff plasnted aound the areas you check change too some grow some die etc...but generally speaking I think you have a good system

Mine is differnt, but I have almost 2 acres...some I just plop 'em in an and do plantings aound them , some I fit into already planted areas...but I do check light/shade requirements ( a crapshoot since many are in disagreement with this info(as with zones) and it varies form area to area of the country as well)and try to keep them out of boggy areas...But I must say i am much more cavalier with my plantings than you ...but should probably be more careful ...I do have a good eye and future vision for planting stuff and most everything I have planted... I have planted in this way (not just jm's) and it has worked well with the exception of an occaaional move or change of cultivars... David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It sounds as if you are going to be having a lot of fun Laura. It's great that you have a plan but can still move things around.

That's an interesting technique moving trees around until you find the right spot.

The tree will go where the shrubs are on the other side of the red birch tree. That's why I needed to get a tree that would fit the spot. I'm going to try to keep it at 9X9 but if I can't there is room for it.

Thumbnail by doss

That spot IS just begging for an eye catcher. Seein g the paths strengthens my wish for pavers on ours rather than gravel...but it may be we do one then the other later.

I also like the idea of trying the plant in a couple of spots. I can do that to some extent, except that some of the plantings are on a busy street, and a "loose" tree would be begging for a thief. However, my current patio is very visible. We have been lucky so far, and I do try to screen what is seen a bit with cheaper things. I'm still 'cogitating' on the plan, it is a "gardener's garden", tons of plantings, and I'm trying to get the designer's image into my head so that I can get a better idea of what trees I want where. So far, where I've been able to wrap my brain around it, I like what she has done. There are a couple of maples unmarked, though, LOL!

Congrats on your new purchase, looking forward to the pics.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Laura, I considered stepping stones too and what it came down to was ease of walking and our clay soil's propensity to move. Gravel is pretty hard to walk on. I don't know if you can get decomposed granite. It's a much firmer path but still natural. The pavers are a little more expensive than concrete but they can be repaired and it won't cost us a fortune to get rid of them. I've used the same material throughout and it's really worked for me. I love them.

Another good thing is that if you use a darker paving material it's much easier to look at the garden. Light bouncing off of a bright hardscape surface is difficult to deal with.

I'm glad that you are taking your time. It's great to really have a handle on it. On the other hand, I sometimes can't totally get it until the plants are in their pots and I can move them around. I'm a hand's on sort.

I am looking forward to seeing it in too. It'll be several weeks though.

Thanks for the input on color. This is important to us as hubby is visually impaired and reflected light causes trouble. We were recommended to use crushed gravel rather than the loose stuff. We did a bit of paver work ourselves a few years ago, and did the tamping by hand, so that is doable, a bit at a time. Hubby doesn't mind that sort of effort, though it goes very slow. If we do pavers again, I think we'll pay to have it done, or at least this time no fancy shapes that need cutting, I'm not up to it anymore. I don't have the hand strength I had a few years ago. I had a bout of nerve damage over a couple of years and am careful about that sort of thing now. We need "accessible" paths for him and for visitors in wheelchairs, so I need something that meets our needs. I may look into stamped/dyed concrete or pavers to see what the price differences are.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, color is important. I get migraines and had a hard time being outside in our yard with aggregate paving. But I'd guess that crushed gravel is probably the same as decomposed granite. I wouldn't do the paving by myself, that's for sure. Crushed granite that someone else does is much preferable.

Here fancy concrete work can run more than pavers. I don't know how it is in your part of the country. Here pavers are about 10% more than regular concrete work.

I'm so excited about your garden. Are you keeping a garden journal?

Lake Dallas, TX

Doss, Viridis or Waterfall would be a great choice. I have one of each and I think the only difference is leaf size. I think the waterfall has a larger leaf but I cant really tell them apart. The size would be perfect for what you need. I've never seen one taller than 6' and they might get that wide after about 20 years. I have not had good luck with red lace leaf maples for whatever reason. They may be too fragile for Texas. My red atro is doing fine though.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I sure was tempted by the viridis or waterfall, but I ended up with a Tsuma Gaki. I posted photos on another thread. Thanks though. Do you have photos of your trees?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.