Monster Rhubarb

Burchard, NE(Zone 5b)

I have a patch of rhubarb growing in my yard. The previous owner planted it, and I have no idea what to do with all of it! The bed is circular and about 10' across. I started counting the clumps and lost count at 50...the stalks are starting to turn purple/red at the bottom. Some of the leaves are 2 1/2 - 3 feet long! When can I start to harvest these? I can't believe how much rhubarb is there! Thanks for your help!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

That sounds like a ton of rhubarb! What are you going to do with it all?

Sounds like they are definitely big enough to harvest now. I love rhubarb, and I start harvesting mine almost as soon as it's out of the ground.

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Well, in the spring (or even this fall) you could dig up a lot of it and send it to friends for planting in their gardens. That's my recommendation, friend :)

Wayne

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Wayne is no friend to you! *I'm* your friend.

Pies... jams... crisps... crumbles... mmmm

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I love making new friends. :)

Compotes...preserves...more pies..........

pam

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I really want a new friend!! I planted rhubarb last year, and it was so hot and dry that I lost 2 plants. Planted 1 plant this year, and it is doing well, however it will be next year before I can harvest any. Why would anybody want that much rhubarb?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It sounds as tho someone really liked rhubarb and had an outlet like a farmers' market for the extra. Or maybe lots of family.

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

Hey all, I love rhubarb, will it grow from seed in one season? Cool weather or hot weather crop? You just harvest the stalks, right? I notice lots of the seed catalogs won't ship rhubarb to nevada, don't know what's up with that. Any ideas?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I planted this crown 3 years ago here in KY. It came from my Grandfather's farm in NH. My sister brought it down here 20 years ago and gave me a clump.

A clump this big is more than enough to supply my wife and myself with all the rhubarb we need.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Redhed4nu, In my zone, we've been harvesting for a few weeks now. Pull the stalk sideways to harvest. My Dad said to cut the leaf off before you pull the stalk. I don't know if that's an old wives tale or not. The largest ones may have a tough peel, and can be peeled. I try to take smaller ones. Wash it, cut it, and throw it in the freezer. Use it fresh for rhubarb custard pies! I also make a rhubarb batter bread, rhubarb crisp or just cook it up.

Faronel, I haven't tried seed. It is a cool weather crop.

Never use more than 2/3 of the plant at a time. Harvest lasts about 2 months.

This message was edited May 15, 2006 9:05 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

billyporter, so if you harvest, it will keep producing? Hopefully that was not too DUMB of a question! LOL. But I had to ask. Mine is sitting out there and I have not pulled any stalks off of it yet.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes it will, you can harvest rhubarb for about 2 months, or till hot weather sets in. It will also put up seed heads. Pull them off when you see them They're pretty recognizable. Just remember to pull the rhubarb sideways and not cut it when you harvest.

Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 c. Milk 4 t. Flour
2 T. Butter 1/4 t. Salt
3 Egg yolks 2 c. Rhubarb
3/4 c. Sugar
Scald the milk. Add the butter & let melt. Slightly beat the egg yolks. Add the sugar, flour & salt. When cool, stir the milk and butter into the egg mix. Dump the rhubarb in an 8'' pie pan lined with crust. Pour custard over top.
Bake 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then
Bake 325 degrees for 25 minutes, or until custard is set. Cool and refrigerate before eating. This is the best pie !!!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you! And thanks for the recipie, I copied it! :)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

You're welcome. It's so good you will start making 2 pies instead of one!

This message was edited May 16, 2006 7:06 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

double post

This message was edited May 16, 2006 7:06 PM

Burchard, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks, everyone...there's no reason to keep all that rhubarb to myself. I think I'll freeze what I can, and this fall I'll divide them and list them for trade. That recipe looks great, we'll definitely try it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.