Canna Tyro needs Expert Advice

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm getting ready to spruce up my canna bed and some of my Bengal Tigers are escaping their confines .. I though of taking a long bread knife (which has to be one of the most useful garden tools I've ever had) and slicing straight down on the inside of the border then digging up the escapee's on the outside. Do any of you Canna Adepts see a problem with this approach? or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Xeramtheum

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

That should work.
The 'escapees' will probably break off easily where they've run under the edging.

Like you I use a bread knife outside more than I do in the kitchen!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Axle,

Now, does anyone wan't to trade some fresh dug Bengal Tiger Canna's for any other colors but red, orange and yellow? If someone does, I won't dig them up until I'm ready to ship them out.

X

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

you have dmail

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Xeramtheum

I'm a newbie, and would love some Bengal Tigers, however, the only cannas I presently have are canna Stuttgarts and Cleopatras. Let me know what's possible.

P.S. I asked this in another forum, but could I plant cannas and hostas together in the same space? Cannas in back, hostas in front? I'm thinking some beautiful color possibilities exist if their growing conditions are similar. Let me know. Thanks.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Gymgirl .. I don't do hostas .. yet .. so I can't really tell you .. I'm working with 2 traders right now for the canna .. If the trades don't turn out to be done deals then I'll keep you in mind.

Linda,
I can help you here. As you know, I grow cannas. I also grow lots of hostas.
Other than Stuttgart,which we grow in the shade, all other Cannas need to grow in full sun.
That is exactly opposite to the hostas. Hostas tolerate SOME sun, but certainly not full sun-without serious burning and damage.
I do have my Stuttgarts at the back of my Hosta/shadePerennial beds.
You're certainly right in assuming they look stunning together.
Deanna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.