hang/attach containers/pots to a fence

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello All,

I am sure this topic must have been taleked about earlier but still, I had to ask cause i did not see any information. I want to hang containers from my fence ,go vertical in space. How should i do it ecnomically. I have a side small yard and starting to plant finally this year.

thanks

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello All,

I am sorry that no one has ideas. I was so hoping to find some help here. I really would like to hang planters from my fence.I am scared that the weight may make the fence "lean forward" . Also not sure how to hang the planters.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Tweety, go to the "You Have Too Many Plants" thread. Somewhere in ther it discusses attaching pots to stone work. It might give you some ideas.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/563917/

I have a piece of lumber that an old boyfiend attached to my garage about six feet up, that he pounded big nails into to act as an attachment for a trellis for peas. The nails are about 2 inches apart. For years I've been staring at that unslightly thing and a few years ago I started hanging those tin French Pots filled with vines. Looks great.

Your fence should be pretty sturdy because the posts should be sunk in cement. I'd go to your local hardware store and ask how you could do something like that. They might have some pretty good ideas. If your fence really can't handle something like pots, how about some climbing vines instead? Clematis are very showy and not too expensive.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Sorry--I spent Mothers Day weekend with the family instead of the internet.

They make hanging brackets for baskets. Its the easiest, cheapest way to do it. I do not know of any other way to hang a basket from a fence. Differant companies have the hangers for differant prices. Some cheaper than others.
Good Luck.

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Beaker and Cricket.

I was looking for something like pot rings, but to pay $5 or $10 per pc is kinddda steeep with all the pots I have.

I will look around.

(Zone 6a)

If you use brackets or pot rings just make sure to mount them on the fence posts that are sunk into the ground. That's the sturdiest way to do it.

Steve

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Steve. Thats a good pointer.

(Zone 6a)

Your Welcome, That's what my Dad has always told me :D

Steve

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have plastic half round hanging baskets that I got from Homey D's. They come with a built in bracket that is supposed to fit over screws, kinda like the back of clocks and things you hang on walls indoors. I had to attach them to my chain link fence and I drilled holes through the backs of the pots where the bracket is and attached them to the fence with heavy coated wire. you could drill the holes in these and screw them directly to your fence. I never use pot shards or stones either for drainage in the bottom. I put packing peanuts in and use a light potting soil like the Miracle Grow brand. This keeps the weight down.
I have also got a piece of trellis on the side of my garage that my hubby put up that is only decorative. it will only hold vining plants and I cannot attach pots to it for the reasons you mention. I put a pressure treated 2 x8x 8' shelf up on three cinderblock sized paving stones and now have an extra layer of plant space in front of this trellis. oops gotta shut down for now, as there is lightning coming on and I just felt the last bolt vibrate my floor. Hope this helps.
Martha

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I got some shelf brackets and scewed them to my wood fence. They have a small hole in the end that you can put a wire into. Then you hang the basket hook on the wire. They do not look bad and cost about $1 each, I got brown ones and they do not show at all but hold the hanging baskets very well. They have been up for a couple years, I had a lot of them to do and did not want to spend much money, worked for me.
Rebecca

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Rebecca. Thats a neat idea to hang baskets.

I have quite a few pots 4" and 6" that are not hanging kind. I wanted to display them from the fence so as to make use of vertical space. They are ordinary pottery planters. Some of then dont even have a collor on the rim. I saw some pictures where planters were displayed from fence , so was wondering of ways to do it.

Tweety

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.