Next Years Foxfire Co-op Wish List

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi all,,Just wanted to see what everyone would be interested in for next year if we do another co-op with Foxfire. This way, Steve and Linda can have an idea and make sure they have things we are interested in.

Foxfire will send you a catalog by e-mail if you request one by e-mailing them. It has descriptions and sizes of the hostas they will be selling. If they have one that they don't have a lot of call for and aren't propagating it, they will if we request it and can get enough people to say they will buy it.

Here's the way this thread is going to work. Look at Foxfire's offerings. Post the cultivars you would be interested in. Don't just tell me Minis or Dwarfs, Small, Mediums Larges or Giants. We all know that a Baby Bunting is a Mini,,,but the clump can get to 30" across. Give me cultivar names that they have on their list. Marie got 'Squiggles' from them and it is a really nice little hosta. We both told Steve we think it didn't sell in the Co-op because there aren't any pics of it on the internet. He will be working on getting pics of all of his hostas on Foxfires site this summer,,,,so keep checking their site.

You can put other hostas down, but please lets not get carried away and post cultivars that we Know are unavailable right now. I'd love 'Atom Smasher',,,,,however I Know it's just not readily available right now. Steve is willing to get things in if he knows we're interested in them although he won't guarantee anything. I believe Linda told me that Foxfire has over 90 mini cultivars right now. Some they sell and some they don't. If we have enough interest in something they haven't had a call for in a few years, they will do what they can to make them available.

So, post those wish lists and we'll see what happens. http://005300c.netsolhost.com/pages/1/index.htm

Kelly

This message was edited May 12, 2006 11:22 PM

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Cracker Crumbs~~~~ High Society
Chickadee~~~~~~ Hanky Panky
Corkscrew~~~~~ Gun Smoke
Dream Weaver~~~~~ Independence
Dust Devil~~~~~~ Gypsy Rose
Fireworks~~~~~~ Last Dance
Kiwi Blue Baby~~~~~ Leather Sheen
Magic Fire~~~~~ Obsession
Mack The Knife~~~~~ Spilt Milk
Pandora's Box~~~~~ Silver Threads & Golden Needles
Peanut~~~~~~ Shiney Penny
Radio Waves~~~~~ Tattoo
Rainforest Sunrise~~~~~ Twilight Times
Forest Shadows

This is most of my wish list!!! LOL Some FoxFire already have.

This message was edited May 13, 2006 12:19 AM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

baja,

Nice list. Great Hostas

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Kelly,

Great idea to start planning now!

I would be interested in the Foxfire named hostas. Specifically:
Foxfire Bamm Bamm
Foxfire Shadowdancer
Foxfire Rose Red
Foxfire Irish Moon

Maybe more, too, but I gotta get on a plane to go home now! Will add more later.

~Angie

Lula, GA

Kelly

Ditto with Angie- esp. F.Shadowdancer!

Angie, have a safe trip!

Brenda

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Exciting, I'll be adding my list here after I get a chance to do more research. Pictures would be very helpful, I spent a couple of hours researching the previous co-op list.

Laura

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I just sent off for my catelog! Yippee... Now I'm off to local hosta sales.... ;)

Diann

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, you are probably right about squiggles not selling because of no pics.I have to be honest the ones I bought from the co-op I bought cus' I liked the names and the element of the surprise ,because I haven't seen a hosta so far I didn't like!!! My list is endless I want everything !! .....Sharon

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

You are tellin' me.......I'm goin broke and still want want want

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,me 3

Dallas, TX

A good analogy Sharon, the names really do appeal to some people. I told my boss I was going to give him a piece of my Striptease one of these days, its all he remembers. Sometimes he calls it the Stripper! LOL Thats a man for you.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I know little about Hosta, so I just looked quickly at the pictures and here are a few that caught my eye. Regardless I'll be saving my milk money this winter for the foxfire co-op. Patti

snake eyes
blue arrow
bobby sue
brenda's beauty
luna sea
thunderbolt
whirlwind
dick war
geisha

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

Just wanted to bump this. Steve is wondering what everyone is interested in for a co-op again next year. Please list minis, some names, smalls, some names etc. Marie will be talking with him soon and he needs to have some kind of idea so he can plan accordingly

Thanks Kelly

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I just turned the Foxfire hosta page into a shortcut, and I'll be playing with it in the weeks ahead. Good idea, Kelly!

Peter

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten, LOL!

Laura

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Any chance that Canadians will be able to participate next year?

Ann

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6b)

I, too am interested in the Foxfire-developed hosta.

Favorites (but extremely expensive)
F. Divine Winds
F. Snake Eyes

Second choices would be:
F. Lady Linda
F Bamm Bamm
F X Philes
F Green Lanterns

I'm leaning towards the streaked hosta, it seems. Also, because I'm basically lazy, I really try to buy cultivars with heavy substance so the slug buffet is smaller. Additionally, I look for interesting texture and leaf shape -

Bridegroom
Praying Hands
Abiqua Moonbeam

I don't even have a Striptease because I'm new to hosta and I'm scared of getting one with HVX.

Lesley

Dallas, TX

I sure hope this is for next year...........

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

I like the mini's or small hostas, but I'd consider anything unusual. Thanks for asking.

Bettendorf, IA

OK - I just blew off every bit of comupter work I was supposed to be doing and went over their entire list LOL.

Of the Foxfires:

Bamm
Divine Winds
Firefly
Irish Moon
Shadow Dancer
Snake Eyes
X Philes

Others in 2 groups. First those I definitely want in my garden at some point and second those I admire and would consider if they were part of a co-op:

Group 1:
Abiqua Moonbeam
Alex Summers
Blue Seer
Blue Vision
Brenda's Beauty
Brim Cup
Cadillac
Dancing in the Rain
Eliator
Fried Bananas
Fried Green Tomatoes
Golden Sculpture
Guacamole
Holy Mole
Hoosier Harmony
Inniswood
June
Krossa regal
Millenium
Mount Tom
Paul's Glory
Plantaginea
Plantaginea Aphrodite
Queen of Islip
Tenryu
Whirlwind
White Christmas
White Wall Tire
Wylde Green Cream

Group 2:
Am I Blue
August Moon
Beauty Substance
Black HIlls
Blue Arrow
Blue Diamond
Blue Mammoth
Blue Shadows
Camelot
Color Glory
Dream Queen
Elvis Lives
Emerald Tiara
Eskimo Pie
Exaltation
Glory
Gold Standard
Grand Prize
Janet
Just So
L. Roy El
L. Shoremaster
Loyalist
Lunar Magic
Lunar Orbit
Masquerade
Montana Aureomarginata
Morning Light
Night Before Christmas
Northern Mist
One Man's Treasure
Pandora's Box
Paradise Joyce
Rainforest Sunrise
Remember Me
Rhapsody in Blue
Sunpower
Supernova
Tea and Crumpets
War Party
Yellow River

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelly, I lean toward large/giant hostas and prefer multi-color thru blues. But I'm an equal opportunity hosta-holic and so ya know, I'm sure that what ever Fox Fire comes up with will be just fine with me.

Diann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks everyone.
Steve just wanted some idea of what people are looking for. Either Marie or I will print this thread and give a copy to him. We'll be meeting with him this weekend. Marie for co-op purposes and myself for other purposes.

Glad to see specific hostas named. He'll get a good idea of what everyone is looking for. This won't get printed out until the day we go, so everyone has plenty of time. You can always list more later,,,he just needs to know what general types and sizes folks are interested in. They don't even necessarily have to be ones that he carries now. If he knows people are interested, he might be willing to get some in.

Ann,
I'm sure that is one of the questions on the top of Marie's list. We were pushing for it last time and he said he'd look into it but it just happened too fast. I e-mailed him info from a thread where we were talking about those Phyto certificates. I'm sure he'll do his best to accommodate.

Lesley,
Know what you mean. I just lost my 3 year old Striptease to HVX,,,so if I buy another, it will definitely be from Foxfire. I'll ask Steve how old his are first,,, I'm willing to buy one over 4 years old,,,LOL We were all new to hostas at one time or another,,,,don't be afraid to ask questions if you have them.

Thanks again,
Kelly

Bettendorf, IA

sice they might be able to add can you see if he can get Michigan Sunshine?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

peg,

It never hurts to ask.

Bettendorf, IA

Or Pretty Peggy??? :)

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Apart from the beauty of the plant, by far my next criterion is that the hosta be of heavy substance, highly slug- and rabbit-resistant! I would want to get any mini that fits this standard. Mine are always weaker than the larger, thick-leaved types.

Peter

Dallas, TX

Snake eyes

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

HELLO,I'm interested there place is beautiful and very nice people and awesome hostas!!! MY hostess was Very cool too!! I want some minis and everything else I can fit in!! ........Sharon

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sharon,
LOL,,,,thanks

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

It's True all true ..Can't wait to get up there again!! .........Sharon

Well, this really is a "Wish List", I know that I won't be able to afford the big ticket items (Foxfire Rose Red and Foxfire Irish Moon , but wanted to show interest so that hopefully they will be cultered for us!). I will probably be adding more.

After ordering this year and seeing the quality of my plants through the season, I will definitely spend over $100 next year. I have not bought any hosta locally, due to the HVX I have seen at all but one local garden center. I feel much safer ordering from those who know what to do about it and are actively working against the virus such as our DG favorite vendors. I view this list as an indicator of interest, not a committment to buy...but these are what I am looking for. I listed a couple that were not on their catalog list as they indicated that they may have them anyway.

August Moon
Bitsy Gold
Blue Arrow
Blue Mouse Ears
Bridegroom
Fair Maiden
Foxfire Flash *added*
Foxfire Irish Moon
Foxfire Rose Red
Geisha
Golden Sculpture *added*
Hadspen Heron
Island Charm
Lakeside Looking glass
Maui Buttercups
Raspberry Sorbet
Reptilian
September Sun
Shiny Penny
Summer Music
Sun Power
Waterfall

This message was edited Jul 27, 2006 6:52 AM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 9:34 PM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 9:35 PM

Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

Kelly,

If I made a list, it would be hundreds of dollars! I don't want to commit to that :)

They have so many cool ones, I'm sure I can find something I would like.

I would especially like streaked types.

The one hosta I really wanted, but never got this year is Embroidery, which they don't have listed........

Kathy

Bettendorf, IA

Oh my! If I had to commit to my "wish list" I'd have to declare bankruptcy!!

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks everybody for letting us know what you are interested in. I certainly would not consider anyone committed to buying any of the hostas that they may listed at this time. (We may need to consider the need to be 'committed' but that's another hosta thread. LOL)

It's really nice to see so much interest in the FoxFire hostas. I'm glad to see that my two favorite ones have also shown up on other lists.....Foxfire Snake Eyes and Foxfire Rose Red. As much as I want these, and would always prefer an OS, I'm guessing that they remain out of my price range until he sends them for TC. Rats...

I'm heading over to Kelly's on Friday afternoon and then we're going to visit FoxFire. I really hope that I can talk about a hosta co-op without actually buying hostas. That place just sucks you in and hostas start jumping in your arms begging to be adopted. And then Steve is so nice, you practically have to ask him if you can buy something. He never turns into a salesman thank goodness, or I'd be putty in his hands.

Keep those wish lists coming out way. It will give us something to work with so that we can have another great co-op in the spring.

Marie

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Here is my list so far....

Foxfire Bamm Bamm
Earth Angel
Foxfire Shadowdancer
Janet
Montana Aureomarginata
Wooden Nickels
Foxfire Flash
Hoosier Harmony

But any are of interest!!! Love their garden site and ENJOY this weekend! You are blessed to be able to go there in person! It is def. on my list of things I want to see....

Susan

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,

We Always have a great time when we go there. And yes, it's a wonderful place to see. We're Very lucky to have it so close,,,um,,,I think you could call it luck,,,,to us it means very dangerous lack of control,,, Steve knows us well and aways *invites* us to take our time and look around,,,LOL

Kelly

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Okay, I'm putting the Hosta forum on my favorites now! lol ; ) I haven't even seen this thread and it's been here forever!! I lurk here sometimes but apparently not enough!

I like these:

Foxfire Bamm
Foxfire Divine Winds
Foxfire Lady Linda
Alex Summers
Allegan Fog
Allen C Haskell
Birchwood Parky's Gold
Breeder's Choice
Brenda's Beauty
Calypso
Christmas Tree Gala
Dancing in the Rain
DarkStar
Daybreak
Fan Dance
Fire and Ice
Fireworks
Golden Spades
Just So
Krossa Regal
Masquerade
Morning Light
peter ruh
Queen of Islet
Remember Me
Revolution
Sitting Pretty
Sugar Plum Fairy
Sun Power
White Christmas
White Wall Tires

I heard someone once mentioned there was a place that tested each and every hosta for HVX...is this that place?

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

No, Foxfire isn't set up for that type of testing. Steve is very knowledgeable on HVX, and is careful to acquire plants from sources that are trustworthy. Imagine what would happen to his entire business and Botanical Gardens if he developed a HVX problem. It would be a disaster.

Hey Kelly........see you soon! I'm tempted to leave my checkbook at home.

Marie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Marie,

Don't you dare. We have to pick up some hostas. Doesn't have to be many,,,but we CAN'T go to Foxfire with out a little sompn, sompn. I guess I'll be replacing my Color Glory,,,GGGGGRRRRRR and a couple of others. Hate that,,,want new kinds.

See ya tomorrow,,,,WITH your checkbook. ,,,ROFLOL

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I'm takin bets on rather or not Marie leaves her checkbook home!!!!! LOL

Too add to my list above:LOL I better start diggin and savin money!!!!

Blue Shadows
Blue Moon
Bright Lights
Color Glory
Erie Magic
Goldbrook Glimmer
Grey Piecrust
High Bid
Holy Moses
Ivory Coast
Jade Beauty
Moonlight