poly stock tank as bamboo rhizome barriers?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

For the size barrier I want (all along a fence line about 3 feet deep to the edge of the lawn) it would be pretty expensive to wrap the 60 mil EPMD stuff at $2.50 per linear foot all the way around

I have used these stock tanks for several other purposes and have several laying around. They are about 5 ft long x 3 ft deep by 32" deep. I'm thinking that I could just cut the bottom out of these, sink them into the ground, leave a 2" lip above ground.......and voila! bamboo rhizome containment!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sounds viable to me!

Montebello, CA(Zone 10a)

I would only drill drain holes in the container.
After about 5 years it will grow underneath the 2ft barrier. It also depends of the species.
What type of soil and is the ground moist year round?

If the ground is not moist and generaly dry then you would not need a ryzome barrier as bamboo will only grow where there is moisture. If you only water the middle of the grove it will grow no further then its alloted water.

If the ground is moist and soft, the runner will take it as an invitation to make itself at home. If you have a big runner it will only be a matter of time before it grows underneath. An annual trenching would prob be the ticket.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.