trellises, teepees, staking, props.....I hate tomato cages

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I need some help planing for my crops that will need staking. My husband convinced
me to throw out my tomato cages (he needed the garage space) which I was glad to do because they always look tired, sloppy and miserable in the garden. I was hoping to construct some beautiful trellis-like things for my cucumbers, peas, tomatoes, squash, etc. and I'd love some "been there done that"advice. My goal is to have these constructions add some visual drama and wit to my veggie patch, as opposed to the "Sanford and Son" look the tomato cages lend.

thanks,
victoria

p.s pictures would be divine--as would recommendations for online resources.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Then check out this thread from Trish:
Garden Talk: Seeking arbor inspiration http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/586903/

Maybe you can find an idea there. Or try one of these links:

Find answers to these questions here: Why Peas Can't Climb a Pole - http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Link-Page?id=trellislp
Why won't pole beans and tomatoes climb up a lattice frame?
Why won't sweet peas and clematis climb a pole?

Making Bamboo Fences and Trellises: http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Link-Page?id=5162

Maybe this one too: Cathedral Planter - http://www.wrcla.org/cedarprojects/planters/cathedralplanter.asp

~* Robin

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I'll take Sanford and Son any day. Tomatoes get so big you can't see te cages anyway. But to each her own. No one around here to see my garden anyway, since I'm out in the woods.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Victoria,

We don't care for the cages either. We plant things closer than normal to get more in a smaller space and then we fertilize a lot. I'd love to build a trellis tower myself for beans, etc. For our tomatoes we just use thick stakes and loosely tie the tomatoe trunks to them. Despite some hail storms and strong winds lately they are still standing tall and will have a nice crop for us in the coming weeks.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 2:19 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I like my cruddy rusty ole cages too. Maybe it's that I donated so much blood (yowch) in the making of them.

Still, half of my tomatoes I'm growing on an eight-foot-high trellis. You can make it out of wood, with supports every 7 feet or so. We string twine in the V pattern up and down, and train those tomatoes up (so they're pruned). I hate pruning, and that's why I love cages.

For lovely and strong trellises that can be used with all the crops you mention above, bamboo works very well. You use two pieces crossed at each end, and a piece resting between them. Then either string twine down for maters, or trellis netting for everything else.

Finally, there are some great books on constructing bentwood trellises and arbors. Really lovely, medieval looking things.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Here's a pretty one that looks like the Rodale one:
http://www.mystictrellis.com/images/tmmt2.jpg

NO idea of the quality, company, etc...

Remember this thread? Tomatoes: tomato cages: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/479212/ from 2005

~* Robin

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We plant our tomatoes, pole beans, cukes, etc. in front of either chainlink fences or lengths of cattle panels. Both come in about 5' heights and are sturdy enough to hold up the plants. We use 6'- 7' steele T posts to hold up the fencing. Or in the case of our chainlink it is the 6' fence around our bird yard. You can also tie 4 pallets together at the corners to form a square bin-or make a rectangle as large as you wish. Plant the tomatoes or such around the outside of the bin and fill the bin over the summer with grass clippings, leaves, kitchen scraps, etc. For tomatoes we use to dig back into the bin as far as the plant would allow and bury all but the top 3" or so of the plant. This let it make lots of roots that would be fed and watered inside the bin. Tie the plants to the pallets with twine, old pantyhose legs, etc.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Lot's of great ideas folks, thanks a bunch.

Robin, those links are top drawer. Inspirational and educational! I really love the info about "why peas can't climb a pole...etc."

I like the idea about planting close together too. I (tried) to make bamboo teepees last year for cucumbers and apple gourds, but I think I some "official" teepee construction pointers because mine were not very sturdy. I'm thinking from all the feedback that bamboo might be the way to go. I'm trying to design something beautiful and functional, my neighbors are frighteningly close (that's life in the big city) and I'd like my structures to be pretty.

Now I'm off to read all the good info on these links.

best,
victoria

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I thought about spray painting a couple of tomato cages, like a dark green, but I do like the green bamboo stakes, and just picked up a package of those.

Hi
I m trying the tomato ladders from Gardeners Supply this yr. I had the cone wire ones from walmart which were ok, but i will admit ( bashful and embarressed ) my tomaots did not grow like yours do, they stumped at about 3 ft, my soil was ka ka. Didn't know much last yr. :)but my Mexican Midget did wonderful, loved it. I think that is one plant that can grow anywere ,anytime , anyhow, anydirt. IMO. LOved the flavor too.WOnt have it this yr SSE kinda messed up my order. LONg story. It was an accident, bit i have bunches of others yeah:)
Has anyone else tried the ladders?
thanks
best
sue

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue,
The ladders look interesting. My thought was to plant cauliflower under them so they don't turn purple. I built my own. Not pretty but when the tomato plants cover them, who will know what they look like? LOL When the time comes to take them down, just unscrew the side braces and they can be stored.

I'm trying some of these this year:

Woody’s Folding Tomato Cages: http://www.motherearthnews.com/article/2152/toparticles

~* Robin

I just read the thread frm 05 very interesting, i better get started on my cages, i didn't think i would have 50 plants ahahahhahahahahahhahahaha.
now i just have to get some bolt cutters yikes. How much woud one say the wire cost per yard? or ft ? what was your total cost on one cage Farmerdill? thanks
we have strong winds here in ohio.
Today my igloo dog house blew 30 ft down my drivway yikes.
My little cold frame i bought from gardenersSupply is holding strong, with bricks and stones and the little stickie,metal ,long, prongie thingies, that poke into the ground to hold it down, ( im such a girl), i hope my FIL wants to help me somemore with my cages, I still have to make the beds for th e maters, our weathr is holding everhthing back about 2 wks everthing is still in my garage or on a window sill in every bedroom ahahhahahaha
thanks
sue

wow Robin
I think even i could make those from the motherearth site you gave, those look great and not to pricey. I already spent my allowance, :((((( and i still need to get some soaker hoses for the raised beds FIL is making for me , then string along my 50 ft hose across the yard and hook it up . Anyway, it is all good.Robin do you have any of those folding cages from the mother earth news ? did you make any? just curious.
Thanks again
sue

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

I finally broke down and bought one of those Texas tomato cages for my Sungold Cherry Tomatos. I hope they're worth the extra money.
My little tomato plant looks pretty small inside it. I know from past experience that it will probably fill most of the cage!
It stands 72" tall (the cage, that is.)

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I use the trellis's from Lowes, the fan type. They are plastic and cost $10 but it looks nice and does the job.Also use the Velcro ties that they sell to tie the plants without cutting them. The Texas cages are strong and will last forever. Best part about the cage is you can buy an extension if your plants like to grow big. I intend to buy some also.

Golden, CO

I also hate tomato cages--they always seem to flop a bit and my tomatoes always outgrow them. My husband made me a trellis. It was easy because they were in a 4X8 raised bed, but you may be able to modify depending on your layout. We used 4 vertical poles , and horizontal pieces of wood along the outsides at about 1 1/2 foot height intervals (ie, 1 1/2 ft above the soil, then another 1 1/2 feet above that, etc. We then used rope to make a "Grid" at each of the height levels--placed that at about one foot intervals, lengthwise and crosswise. So, the tomatoes just grew up through the rope. They occasionally need some guidance to prevent sideways "escapes" but this worked great! Total height was about 5 1/2 feet above the soil. Since we moved, we need to recreate--will do the same configuration but probably use wire instead of rope for more durability. Hope this helps.

I m going to try the two sticks and clothesline method, I m going for the motiff of redneck chic look in my garden heehee Moosie i m trying clothesline for sturdyness. Ihope it works for me.
sue

Sue, maybe these links can be useful to you:

Vertical Gardening:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lw_structures_walls/article/0,2029,DIY_14139_2269290,00.html
:
Vertical Gardening and Bamboo Trellis:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/so_arbors_trellises/article/0,2029,DIY_14352_4615767,00.html

Making Bamboo Fences and Trellises:
http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Link-Page?id=5162

~* Robin

Just don't get your fingers stuck in the wires while making them; like I did the first few times {]8^xP

Ok here is my dumb question " do you have to use bamboo"? I have heard so much on bamboo is it becuse it is easier to use and what not.?
I will be lucky if i get any peas or beans this yr , the slugs are having a Mardi Grah in my garden on my beans and peas " oh my". heehee
thnks Robin i will look in on the sites looks great and easy !!!! and gotcha no fingers in wire LOL
sue

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

You don't have to use bamboo, it just has some redeeming characteristics. If you use other wood, it might be prone to rot. If you use a rot-resistant wood, like cedar or redwood, it's expensive, and cedars and redwoods take a long time to grow and mature. Bamboo is a highly renewable resource because it grows so fast to maturity. It's also lightweight and not as prone to rot as some types of wood. It's also relatively cheap. And it's easy to get long straight pieces. You could also use something like PVC pipe or whatever, but that wouldn't be awfully aesthetically pleasing, at least not in my view!
C.

yes pvc isn't all natural looking , bamboo is pretty. thanks . Right now i m on a cucumber beetle attack , making some barriers
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.