It's THE year for my Climbing Hydrangea!

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

This has been such a wonderful spring..rain, warm temps, rain.....

After several years of drought it is such a blessing to see many of my beloved plants come into bloom.

I've counted about 25 flower(bud) clusters on this vine and just can't wait to see it bloom!

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Wow! How old is your plant?I have one but this is only it's second season.How long do I have to wait until it blooms?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

...hmmnn...didn't keep track of when I planted it, but I'd say five to seven years ago. I've read it can take up to seven years to bloom...but its worth it! Also thought I'd mention that these can be propagated pretty easy. Bury a branch in the soil and hold it down with a rock. It'll develop rootlets and you have another vine!

I'll post another pic when its in bloom~

Sandy

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Sandy..How beautiful..I have never tried to grow one of those but I hear they can take years to get established?..Is that true..what are your tips and tricks...please share a pic when it's in bloom..I bet it's gorgeous...Jeanne

(Zone 4a)

Sandy,

That is a beautiful plant!

Good job!

Cumberland, RI

I planted one last summer and attached it to a tree. It's already 4 ft up it!

Duxbury, MA(Zone 6a)

For THE BEST Clematis, order from Debbie at Silver Star. The plants are oh so healthy, delivered promptly in perfect shape and Debbie will kindly answer any and all questions. Have just dug in several of her offerings this morn in the rain. Lee

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice plant. You'll be rewarded with many blossoms. Beautiful weather here too. Plenty of rain and the best soil on this planet - looks like fluffy black stuff and you can slice into it like butter!

You've trained it well. I'll be happy to see it in bloom.

Cheers.

---Dax

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dax!

I want to get to go around the corner of the house too....hubby has actually "trained" it for me...he gets "upset" when he sees it going up the siding and rips it off! LOL!

Can you send some of that black gold up here? I have clay and clay...oh, and more clay!

Sandy

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Yours is beautiful..How many supports do you have under there?..I like your idea of letting it go around your house...

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

seedsower
I know it's worth the wait.

One thing I love about all hydrangeas is that it's so easy to get more plants that way.I bought a very small endless summer at the end of last season and now I have 4 plants.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Demstratt....

No supports...climbing Hydrangea has rootlet type thingey's that adhere to the surface, similar to a trumpet vine. That's why hubby keeps pulling it off the siding..it would probably start pulling the siding off.

Downscale....I bought ES hydrangea too last fall and unfortunately the existing wood all died but I have a lot of new growth. It better meet its promise to bloom on new wood!

Sandy

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Seedsower, what do you mean "no support"? what is it growing on?

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't know either...I had to add two more supports last summer...It completely buried my two trellis...Plus 4 other poles...

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Anyone know if it can be successfully 'removed' from a host tree, which has died, and re-planted elsewhere? I'll be taking the tree down and hate to start from scratch with another hydrangea. Thanks.

Victor

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

good question Victor!

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

My Climbing Hydrangea is growing on the brick of the house. It attaches itself to the brick like a suction cup :)

Sandy

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

We planted ours three years ago at the base of a wild cherry tree and trained it to climb the trunk. I had seen this done at a garden show. We keep it trimmed to about 7 or 8 feet tall so it doesn't get too far up the trunk to prune. It bloomed he second year. It has also sent up many new plants in the garden the tree is in. Quite a conversation plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.