Any gooseberry growers?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I just received a rather wet gooseberry in the mail today. (I heard that we had 2.6" of rain while I was at work today - the gooseberry sat on the porch waiting for me.) It is a Tixia. Anybody have some advice for me on where to plant the new guy and whether or not it needs a trellis?

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

You don't need a trellis for them they make arching canes somewhat like raspberries. Morning sun should be fine or some bright shade. They are usually found in the woods in the midwest.
Sorry I have not had them here but I would keeep it out of the afternoon shade
I hope this helps some

Chicory31 - That helps a lot. Can you tell me if the gooseberries were good to eat or should I just consider them squirrel food?

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I can't tell you much since I've yet to buy a plant, but they are definitely edible! They might be a bit tart to eat "as is", but many people make preserves, sauces, and pies with them.

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I am not a fan, but my husband and daughter love them in pie. They look like cooked beans in a pie , one of my daughter's friend's asked her if she could try some of that" bean pie" we had, we didn't know what she was talking about then we thought about the gooseberry pie we laughed so hard after she went home.
We used to feed them to our friends, green and bitter, and tell them they were really good and try them LOL

I just realized I wrote aftenoon shade duh I meant sun... I better stay off of here in the mornings until I have had a good amount of coffee

Chicory31 - I did plant it where it will get afternoon sun. The leaves are rather pretty. Care to share your recipie for gooseberry pie?

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I think gooseberries are pretty too they remind me of home.
Ok here is the recipe
This was from my Grandma
FRESH GOOSEBERRY PIE

3c Gooseberries
1 1/2 c sugar
2 T Butter
3T quick Tapioca
1/4 tsp salt
Pastry for 2 crust pie

Crush 1/2 cup of berries, mix with sugar,tapioca and salt. Add whole berries, cook and stir until mixture thickens. Place pie crust on bottom of 9in pie pan fill with berries dot with butter. place top crust Bake in very hot oven 450 for 10 minutes, reduce temp to 350 and bake 30 minutes or longer until crust is done serve warm.

Thank you! If I get enough berries I will try making the pie.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I have my gooseberries planted on the west side of the house, they do very well here and are nearly all day sun, what I mean is they are out in the open with full sun, and produce berry after berry, unfortunately the birds usually get them before me at least the last 3 years, this year I think I will put up the net, they are said to be better eaten after the first frost, alas, when I would wait for that last frost the birds had already beaten me to them!!!

Thanks for the recipe above it sounds delicious!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.