Flowerbed photos 2 a continuation....................

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I have a request for anyone interested in responding. ;o) I was hoping to have a thread of photos of flowerbeds as the season begins and continues through the summer months. I would love to see everyones gardens to view and get ideas for my own gardens. So if anyone is interested, post away.... I'm talking about the 'whole garden' shots, not so much the' individual flower' shots. Thanks to all who 'play'. ;o)
Sherry

This is a continuation of the 'Flowerbed photos' thread since the first one was getting so long. So post away!
Sherry ;o)

Here's the link to the first thread. Hope it works, not real sure how to add the link.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/584483/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

This is a small bed I started last spring. I dug up all the pesky green stuff (darn that grass - it's everywhere...LOL ), amended the heavy clay soil with a LOT of organic goodies, and planted some Hardy Geraniums, Lily bulbs, and annuals.....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

The same bed from the side later last year....some small own-root roses were added, as well as some played out annuals removed ....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

And this is the bed today....I have added one plant of Aquilegia 'Ice Crystal', the roses have grown quite a bit, the geraniums are much, much bigger.......I can hardly believe how empty that first photo looks! :-)

This thread is such a good idea! Good one Serrygirl!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Here's my back shade bed - the first shot was in mid April

Thumbnail by sstateham
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

And this is last week - funny what a little rain can do :)

Thumbnail by sstateham
Eureka, CA

This is one spot I reclaimed about 3 summers ago. It was nearly all gravel, as the road, prior to the blacktop, was a gravel road. After a couple of summers of digging in more and more soil and planting more and more things, this is what it looks like today. In addition to find things that don't mind the extra gravel, I need to contend with deer. By fall, it will really be "ripping"!

Thumbnail by sannajane
Eureka, CA

And this is my "woodland" garden area....

Thumbnail by sannajane
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

sstateham~~ Isn't it amazing what a week can do to a thriving garden?? Your border is gorgeous, and I look forward to following its' progress! Very, very nice... :-)

sannajane~~ Very nice woodland area, and I like the reclaimed area as well - Good Job - Very full and healthy looking! ;-)

Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have been working on this spring mixed border bed for a year, trying to get perennials such as peonies, iris, linum, siberian iris and bulbs such as camassia semi plena and allium to bloom together. Haven't really succeeded with the timing, but I'm getting some of the effect I was trying for--

Thumbnail by tabasco

Tabasco,
wow! Now, that's classy. Love the overall look.Everything just flows and melds. Good Job!!!

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tabasco

I think the irises and peonies are going to bloom together in zone 6 this year....I wish I had them together...but I don't. Send a pic of yours when they take off. I love peony season....three blooms and you have a vase full!
HM

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Love the japanese maple! They are maringally hardy here, and I've had so many friends lose them that I haven't taken the plunge.

Jamie - thanks :) My favorite time of year for this bed is mid summer, when the columbines are wrapping up, the veronica, campanula, and delphiuniums are blooming, and the pulmonaria and sweet woodruff add the foliage contrast.

This is last summer -

Thumbnail by sstateham
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's my larger front bed. I planted everything but the crabapple either last spring or this spring, so it's all very new. The crabapple has a one year jump on the rest. It's starting to fill in... patience is a virtue :) I keep telling myself that!

BTW, it was a little too late in the evening for a great shot. I'll get better pics when the sun finally shines again and a few of the other plants get to blooming :)

Fun thread. I love pics :)

Jacci

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

That's really cute! it looks so welcoming! I have a weakness for pansies :)

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Jacci,
I love the planters on both sides of the bay window. What a lot of work. I hope you had help. I really like the one on the left. Tee hee.
P.S. Is that a mushroom peeking out?

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ha ha, Mom. For those of you not yet privvy, buckimom is my mom, and yes she helped me plant the planter on the left there :)

I like the pansies, too, but they're getting replaced very soon with some summer annuals. I may try to keep a little swatch and baby it to see if I can get them through the summer here. We'll see. I planted them in early March when they were the only things giving any color besides some crocus. Helped the winter seem shorter to have flowers nice and early :) Psychological gardening :)

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

side yard..... last september.......... first year in place, fought the poison oak for the territory

Thumbnail by jackieshar

more of the side yard

Thumbnail by jackieshar

water gardens last year

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ummm.....wow.

Wow.

another pond area

Thumbnail by jackieshar

datura borders

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Jackie (seems strange to type it that way... I'm Jacci, LOL), are you using a special filter or are you changing the lighting with your computer? Those pics have such a nice luminosity. Gorgeous photographs, and the subject certainly doesn't hurt :)

wildflower meadow
edited to note........ in the fall

This message was edited May 13, 2006 10:44 PM

Thumbnail by jackieshar

Just beautiful natural oklahoma light.......and a good old style sony digital.......pictured first year of the butterfly garden border last summer..I put it in myself except for the stonework last spring

butterfly garden first season

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You, my dear, are immensely talented.

How have I not run into you before on DG? At any rate, thanks for sharing your gorgeous pics, I'm thoroughly enjoying the tour! :)

Jacci

behind house........east side in Sept 2005

Thumbnail by jackieshar

hope I didn't bore you too much with the Texas brags....i am very proud of what me and my husband have done with this poor, sorry Oklahoma land. we have worked like dogs on this our retirement home, both in our mid 60s and we have done it all ourselves.......

thanks for enjoying it with me.......I am allover DG, where u been? :>) nice to meetcha

watergardens,datura,texas,trades,

Jackie

Thumbnail by jackieshar

all the beautiful pictures, all the talented people in this thread........here's to you all........ you inspire me

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

Jackie - your gardens are gorgeous - and a testament to the hard work you two must have done.

Catherine

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Hey, being a transplant from Tulsa can I come swing over your very special dirt poor land that you have transformed into a glorious garden? No, a park ! I remember our attempts at flower beds being filled with dirt clogs that I couldn't bust with a sledge (or on my brother's heads ) I tried to grow flowers for my mother when I was young, but what I did manage to get started was either burned up or was eaten by my horse before it ever flowered. Later I moved to a far easier place to garden, so I truly admire what you have done. Patti

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Aw, I like you, Miss Jackie :)

The reason we've never met is because I hang out in the Ohio River Valley forum, containers, garden design, and perennials. Don't grow brugs, don't watergarden (yet), and don't trade. LOL -- but here we are! Glad to meet you :)

How long have you been gardening? I've only been gardening for 4 years, but come from a long line of gardeners. My mom (buckimom) is on DG, too. And don't worry at all about the "bragging". No kidding, your home is absolutely exactly my dream and it's really fun for me to see your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them. I'd love to add some of the pictures to the "Inspirational Ideas" section of my DG journal. Do you mind???

Jacci :)

This message was edited May 14, 2006 12:13 AM

Jacci.......I'd be flattered.......started about 15 years ago......my mom gardened too......at one point when she was terminal with breast cancer, she sat on the ground and helped me plant canna one summer....I have them now to remember, that's what's so wonderful about gardening..kinda like being able to leave some semi-permanence

Patti.....I am along the red river valley, due north of Dallas about 100 miles..pure beach sand......no rock, no clods, no topsoil, no nutrient value...it was 103 here the day after Easter.....dropped into the 40s a couple of mornings after..........you never know what you're gonna get.....flooded 2 years in a row.........last 3 years have been a serious drought..only 13 inches of rain in 9 months in 2005...I envy you your garden soils and mild climate but you just can't beat the Okla wildflowers.......spring or fall

Catherine....thank you for your kind words.......

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Jackieshar,
I am sitting here reading your last post and the part about your mother helping you plant cannas while being so sick brought tears to my eyes. My own mother was not a gardener although I tried to make her one. After years of receiving rose bushes from me on Mother's Day and/or her birthday she finally said please don't. I love her and miss her so but she was not who I inherited my semi green thumb from. Her mother could grow anything and I still remember seeing her vegetable garden and rows of pineys and Iris. I'm sorry I didn't mean to get so carried away. But one last thought. I am so happy my oldest daughter, Hugahosta loves to garden what fun it was yesterday playing in the dirt with her.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

hugahosta, It will be fun to see what all those containers do in the coming months. I started last year adding many more containers, and was very happy with them. But this year, I think I've gotten a little carried away and am wondering now where they'll all end up. I'm trying more perennials in them to avoid the annual expense of annuals. :)

jackieshar, that's a gorgeous job you've done. What varieties of butterflies do you get in your garden?

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

here's a photo of last year's late spring perennial garden and part of the rose garden - all before the drought hit.

My mother was an avid gardenener. She moved to a town near me when she was diagnosed with cancer and I planted her a full blown English cottage garden in her front yard - she supervised. It looked beautiful the last year before she died. The woman I sold her house to had her son in law chain saw the garden to the ground and sod over everything. I haven't been able to drive by there since. Guess I'm just thinking about that today.

Thumbnail by jerseyridgearts
Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

Here are a couple of mine nothing to compare to above Wow those are beautiful. Someday when I can work full time on my gardens I know I will expand.
Kim

Thumbnail by bluektodd
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Jersey,
Is that a pic of your mother's garden? I am assuming that it is. If so it's positively breathtaking. If it isn't it is still positively breathtaking. I don't blame you one bit for not being able to look at it now. Years ago, when we bought our first house (I wasn't into gardening then )I pulled out coralbelles that the former owner had planted. It made them unhappy too and now I understand why. What was I thinking?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.