No signs of life?

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I posted this on the NE gardening forum as well..............

I planted a bunch of summer flowering bulbs (lillies, freesia, tuberose) in pots in the middle of last month. Even though some had what looked like active growth and the bulbs were healthy, not mushy, they have yet to make a formal apperance.

Same thing with some seeds that I planted (spanish flag hyacinth and scarlet runner beans) also in containers, no signs of life.

The weather here in upstate new york has been very warm and sunny (for a change) so I am surprised that they aren't coming up.

Is it too early to start worrying that they aren't going to come up at all or should I just wait and hope that they're late bloomers so to speak.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

You might go dig one up where you know one is and see if it's still there. If the grass is growing and there is sign of life everywhere else, I would think they should be making some kind of an appearance.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I saw a tiny tip of reddish green poking out so there's hope.

(Zone 6a)

My spring planted freesia are still coming , so I wouldn't give up. We planted Caladiums about a month ago and theres still nothing showing. I checked one of the bulbs and I saw some pink tips starting to show, so I know they're still coming!

Steve

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Caladiums take forever to come up. Mine are still not up.

(Zone 6a)

Do they grow fast once they're up?

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

I don't remember that they are really fast, just normal I guess. You should be happy with them though. If they get too much sun, they won't last as long, but then again, you are in a slightly cooler climate than I am so that may not be true for you.

(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Cherishlife. We'll probably end up putting them in the shade....we have lots of that :)

Steve

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

oh yeah, they like shade. :-)

(Zone 6a)

I've never actualy grown them before, pregrown or from bulbs, so this is something new for me. Can't wait till their up.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.