Rhodie lovers, have I got a place for you

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

azaleas too! I took a short ride to RareFind nursery in Jackson NJ. They have 3000 varieties. 3000!They are on the internet for mail order and anyone looking for that different or unusual plant, it's the place to go. Also acers, magnolias, hydrangeas etc and they're going to expand their perennial lines.
I left with 2 rhodies that I did not plan to buy and one acer that I did not plan to buy. And they've been 15 minutes down the road for 7 years. didn't know it. What a great find!
Happy gardening,
Weeze

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you for supporting my really bad gardening habit.......I wonder if it's going to get better or worse?
Any way great site!

Winnetka, IL

Weeze, I have ordered Rhodies from Rare Find many times, and they do wonderfully. They are one of the few mail order outfits that had R. 'Golfer', which is an absolutely beautiful yak hybrid. Tiny, no more than 1' in my area, and the new leaves have thick, white indumentum. They were also the only folks who had 'Ginny Gee' and 'Mary Fleming', two of my favorite lepidotes. Next time I'm in NJ, I'm going to have to be sure to drive a large van for a trip to RareFind! See you there : )

I have seen license plates from Connecticut to Virginia in their lot. One of the nice things about going there is they offer a lot of more mature plants that would be too large to ship at a reasonable rate. They fit in my Subaru quite nicely though :~) Only 8 more weeks!!

Winnetka, IL

Hmmmmm... might be worth a special trip. Leave some for me!
And be sure to post what booty you score; vicarious pleasure for all.

If you need an excuse or alibi, Six Flags is right around the corner. lol

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi Venu,
I visited Rarefind for the 1st time last August after mail ordering from them for a few years.
Do you know about the DOG DAY SALE in August? We got some really good deals on good sized shrubs.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Their web site sure has some beautiful Rhodys, but I found there is a real problem for me. They can't ship to Oregon. Looks like I'll have to stick with Greer Gardens for mine, but that isn't all that hard to take. They also specialize in Rhodys, Azaleas and Camellia's and have quite a few cultivars available. It would have been fun to buy from both. Just think of the garden one could have. (Of course, it helps to have the money to buy and I don't) :-) Dotti

Winnetka, IL

dottik- what has been your experience with Greer? I have salivated over their site, and they do have some cultivars I have been looking for.

Sempe, I didn't make it there for their sale last summer, but I'll be sure to check them out this summer. They have such a nice staff of employees also.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Plantaholic, I found purchasing from Greer a very pleasant experience. I don't know how well they pack for shipping as my DH and I drove up to Eugene and picked out the plants we wanted. However, they have a wonderful group of employees who are really interested in making the customer happy. They also have a wonderful bunch of plants. Very healthy looking and just yummy! Dotti

Winnetka, IL

dottik, thanks for the rating. They sound like a good operation, and their plant selection is great. Guess I'll have to go and roam their site again : )

somewhere, PA

I'm a RareFind fan too. I drove out there a couple of years ago late in the
season. There were few customers and I spoke to one of the owners. He
was such a pleasure to talk to - really loved plants. He helped me with a few
selections and explained where he'd gotten many of his plants. Oh such
fun. I was checking out and they asked me something about the plants at
the upper part of the nursery. No - I'd missed those. So I loaded the car and
went back and bought more. Lots of great stuff. I keep promising myself
to make it there in May/June to see the glorious display. Its a bit of drive for
me but I will get there again.

Tam

Tam, you have to put it in your calendar to make the drive when the Rhodies are blooming. The first time I went there I pulled in and there was one staring at me that was almost the size of my car.

somewhere, PA

Good idea! I'll do it now. End of May?
Tam

Perfect timing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.