New Kids in the Garden

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Ok last one got hard to load for some, so I will try to keep this one easy by reshaping and sizing the photos. The following are maiden blooms to the garden for 2006. All the following were new blooms from May 10.

Crowned Heads

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Cumquat BB

Edited to correct class. This iris is in the registry as an IB not a BB. I purchased this iris from local AIS sale incorrectly classed.

This message was edited May 11, 2006 8:02 PM

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Edge of Darkness

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Marksman SDB

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Spun Gold

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Sunshine and Snow

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Roni, you might want to double check Marksman. It's supposed to have vermilion (red) beards.

Crowned Heads is such a beautiful dark-top. I wish the modern TBs weren't such a gamble here.

Laurie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Kahili

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Laurie. That's one that I received as a bonus with another trade several years ago. Chalk it up to experience.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Happens to all of us. I moved several mis-IDed trade SDBs from my named beds into the unknown bed last summer.

Laurie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Laurie double checked as you suggested. I think the sun must've bleached out the level of "redness" in the beard. Sent you a different pic via private email from different lighting situation. Appears more like what "vermillion" looks like - very similar to Schreiners. Feel free to comment via private mail.

Until then it remains suspect.

Roni

This message was edited May 11, 2006 8:03 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Roni, Thanks for sharing. It's so fun to share your excitement... and the beautiful new iris you're growing.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Doss. Mystery of Marksman has been laid to rest. A picture sent to me by Neil has confirmed that this is indeed Marksman and my camera was just have a bad lighting day even with white balance adjustments.

Thanks for all the help Neil and Laurie.

Will have more kids later tonight as the Little League games were rained out here.

Roni

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Here's the picture of Marksman as it is grown in TN. The picture is courtesy of Neil. Last year, his plant and mine were one.

Excellent job on the photo Neil. Kudos.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

OK, Roni, now here's another question. Are you sure that it was your camera that was off in its interpretation of Marksman's beard color, or is Marksman's beard really more yellow-orange in your garden (as opposed to red-orange in Neil's)?

I ask because I know that petal colors can vary quite a bit on the same iris from climate to climate and growing environment to growing environment. Thornbird and What Again are prime examples of this phenomenon.

I'm very curious to know whether the same holds true for beard color. I have an older white TB that I have good reason to believe is a Zurbrigg creation named 'Mary White'. I sent pics of it to Lloyd a couple of years ago, and he said that it matched 'Mary White' in all respects except beard color. So, if it's possible for beard color to shift according to growing conditions, I'd love to know!

Laurie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

No, I don't think so. It was very hot and very brillant outdoors when I took the pic and my camera is ancient from a technology standpoint. I cannot manually adjust the white balance. The 2nd picture of the same bloom, I took today, inspite of the rainy conditions and curling up to "die" demonstrates that it is indeed a red orange.

I have noticed though that some hybridizers describe "red" beards that are really "pink" to my eye and "pink" beards that are of an orange shade.

For those of you following, here's the 2nd shot of my Marksman. Edited to say: Beware the shot you are about to see is ugly and really unfocused.

This message was edited May 11, 2006 11:01 PM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Shoot, and here I was hoping maybe beard color variations do occur under differing cultural conditions. Now I just have to wait for my "maybe Mary White" to bloom again (I've only seen it bloom the one time so far) so I can specifically evaluate the beards in person and see if maybe my camera misinterpreted the color.

Thanks for the info.

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.