electric clipper suggestions

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I have several mugho pines that require careful clipping of the new-growth candles in the spring, and as they get older, take a very long time to do. I have been using hand clippers, but it takes about 1.5 hours for each bush, and I have quite a few of them. I have checked with Home Depot, a hardware store, and a garden store, and they don't seem to have any suitable electric clippers for this job. The closest they came was to have grass edger clippers, which probably aren't designed to handle the thickness of the candles. Traditional hedge clippers are far too big to carefully go after each candle, and too heavy as well. The reason I need to do careful clipping is that indiscriminate clipping isn't a good idea, since cutting old growth prevents any further growth on that branch. I wonder if any of you gardeners have a suggestion for such a tool.

Susan in Minnesota

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!