Kind of bonsai...

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a sumac seedling growing in a pot. I've never done bonsai, but I would like to try (I wouldn't want this tree in my yard, but in a pot it might be nice). I know certain things are better suited to bonsai than others. Would this just die when it outgrows its container? If not, what kind of medium should I plant it in when I move it to a larger container? Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I think I answered your question on another website. The "branches" you see on your shrub will drop of during the winter and the plant WILL need a cold rest (dormant period) then. It likes a spare soil best - one with a low organic content and very good drainage. As the plant eventually outgrows the container, the branch and stem extension will come to a near halt. You will need to pot up, at a minimum, but with proper root-pruning, you'd likely be able to keep it in the container it's in for many years.

Al

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Zone5girl, I'll post a pic of a plant I've tried to bonsai. It is a normally awkward growing plant, sending out long shoots every which-a-way but the tiny white flowers are charming. The plant is called 'carissa'. It is planted in one of those homemade tuffa pots with regular potting soil and I've never trimmed the roots. It does require constant pruning to look like a tree and, so far, it does fine. It is about 4yrs old and is left outside. A 'bonsai master' would probably chuckle but it is fun for me.

Thumbnail by bugme
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

That is so cute! Bonsai is definitely something that I want to try. I ended up giving the sumac away, but when I get more money/time, I would like to do a wisteria bonsai. Tamara

Bandung, Indonesia

Do you have any comments about this bonsai - one of my collection ([HYPERLINK@www.bonsaistar.com]) ?

Species : Ficus Benjamina

Style : Informal

Height : 50 cm

Thumbnail by limadijaya
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I love it! Hopefully someday I can get into bonsai. Right now, my garden is looking horrid and desperately needs some HELP! Tamara

Bandung, Indonesia

Thank you very much for your comments. Hope your garden get better soon by doing some advices from the experts !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.