Favorite Plant Combinations - MAY Bloomers :)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, all :) This is the start of my second year gardening in Ohio (we moved from Virginia) and I'm trying to get a good handle on when everything is blooming. I kept up on a diary of bloomtimes somewhat last year, but my baby garden is so limited in its scope. I'd really love to come up with some great combos that bloom together in May.

Here's my contribution:

For the front of the border, blooming chives, dianthus, creeping baby's breath, and lamb's ear 'Helen von Stein'. Sooo pretty together. Too bad all four of these plants are spread out and nowhere near one another in my garden!!! LOL!!! But, I can get a very good idea from taking a few cuttings and grouping them in an arrangement. I'll have to move some things around later on :)

Other May combos, please??? Trees, shrubs, bulbs, annuals, perennials -- anything! Pictures would be icing on the cake.

Huga :)

This message was edited May 11, 2006 9:39 PM

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Here is an accidental placement of some May bloomers in the shade that I have.

Dutchman's Breeches (the white one in the photo) Dicentra cucullaria AND
Rattlesnake Weed (the yellow one in the photo) Hieracium venosum

The Dutchman's Breeches has foliage the color of the leaves of Helictotrichon sempervirens (a grass I like). The Rattlesnake weed has a mottled purple and green leaf. Both self-seed, but not to any state of aggravation. They are in proportion to each other in size. I like the colors together and they bloom in MAY!!!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Here's another shot of the Rattlesnake Weed with the Dutchman's Breeches. The first photo shows the purple and green mottled leaves of the Rattlesnake Weed. Both types of plants were obtained from a perennial swap about five years ago. I planted them right beside each other so no harm would come to them from my doings !!!!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by greenthumb_NC
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Can I throw in a late April combo? It was an accident and too pretty not to mention! Along the end of my white house, I had planted Red Darwin Hybrid Tulips, a ton of muscari, then had the gray skeletons of Lady Lavender. It turned out to be a beautiful red, white and blue combo and the few dandelions that popped up lent it some spark! There is also a green and yellow variegated sedum in the center that set off the red white and blue. I accidentally got a picture as the tulips and muscari were loosing their blooms. I wish I would have taken one when everything was fresh!

Considering that I was a plant crammer in the fall, I think it's kind of nice. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Hugahosta,

On my website I have pictures of my gardens in different months throughout the year. Here is a link showing what is blooming in May.

http://community.webshots.com/user/gardenbrat

Maggie

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Some great red and white woodies, all blooming this month here.

Aesculus pavia
Aesculus x carnea
Bignonia capreolata
Chionanthus virginicus
Lonicera sempervirens
Viburnum dilatatum
Viburnum rufidulum
Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum
cultivars, especially 'Popcorn'

OK, the crossvine is more orangey, but you get the point.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Moonlit, what a pleasant slideshow I just sat through :) Loved your site. My young daughters got a real kick out of Pottsie :) Very whimsical art you have there!

I've been thinking about a Wiegela. Can you tell me if it bloomed in early or mid May? Most of my spring things are pinks, white, yellow, and purple, so the color scheme would work well. There are some with variegated foliage aren't there???

Thanks, everyone, for such great replies!

Huga

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Huga..Lowes has the Wine & Roses Weigela by Proven Winners for $7.98...You might want to check it out and their a nice size for the money...You can see them at www.provenwinners.com..

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you for your compliments. Yeah, I love Pottsie too. : ) He's got a big fanbase on the Internet as well locally. A few months ago someone sent me Pottsie's girlfriend photo of one they made. It was too cute.

This summer I am going to make him a pet. A dog I think.

My weigela started blooming around the last week of April and it is still blooming.
Mine is called Weigela Minuet and it is kind of a hot pink.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi moolit I loved your home and gardens...I've seen Pottsie before but none compared to yours..He's great..!!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, moonlit. Just a thought, you could call his pet "Pot Dog" or sPOT :)

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Demstratt. I guess that's what happens when your children get older, you become attached to a pot man. : )

LOL, Hugga. I do like the name sPOT. Perfect!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh yea :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.