Exbury Azaleas

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

We are in peak season here in Western Oregon for rhodies and azaleas. I particularly love the Exbury azaleas or the deciduous variety of azaleas. And on a warm day they smell heavenly. I have oranges, yellows and pinks. Anyone familiar with these beauties? What do you grow?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

All my azaleas and rhodies are gone .. but they were beautiful this year. Hope yours are too. I had several wild honeysuckle azaleas that smell wonderful and the butterflies love them. Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Lovely photo with the butterfly, Elaine. I am not familiar with the wild honeysuckle azaleas.
http://www.ridgecrestnursery.com/Exbury_Azaleas.htm My digicam is broken and so I can't share any photos but here is a link to some exbury azaleas.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I'm going up to NC.mountains after mother's day.We have native flame azaleas and lots of native Rosebay Rhododendron maximum linnaeus.The Flame Azalias should be blooming now but it gets harder to find them every year because the Rhodie's canapy is very dense and won't let anything else develope.We try to clear the Rhodies but it is an endless task.The Rhodies bloom at the end of June and it is truly magnificent.

Down here at the beach we have quite a few Azaleas But they are rather common ones.We also have the encore Azaleas which I love.Does anyone have any suggestions as to some special Azaleas for the coast and where to buy them?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Try the exburys or Knapp Hill as they are sometimes called. They are deciduous however but oh my the fragrance is wonderful.The link I posted above is actually a nursery but after a google search I found all kinds of sources. Joann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.