Vegetable Supports

Howell, NJ

I just found this site a week ago and am completely addicted! I am in Central NJ, in a new home and planted a new garden. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on supports for tomato (indiscriminate vine varieties, peas (one dwarf type of 18 inch, other is about 34 inches), beans, zucchini and eggplant. I found some pretty versitile "pea supports" on gardeners.com that go to 48 inches high and have 6 inch openings. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. We are kinda pressed for time or I would build ones like my dad used when I was young. Thanks!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Welcome Seafour! Wanted to say "Hello"" but not sure I can offer much worthwhile for your questions. I just got the big, spiral , metal stakes for my tomatoes because I'm frustrated by the cages I've been using (they tip over and aren't tall enough). I use the standard folding fence type supports for peas.
Dave

Howell, NJ

Thanks Dave. I don't like the cages either, I found it difficult to harvest once the plants got thick. Do you have to prune and tie the tomatoes to use the spirals? Sorry to ask so many basic questions, but I definately don't have any experience with all these new tools. Cages were as advanced as I got, and am somewhat overwhelmed.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

You would have to tie. I'm not sure how effective its going to be on the branches. I will let you know how it goes. Andy (Sarah'skeeper) might have some good ideas for you.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have used the big, twisty metal stakes for two seasons and they leave something to be desired. There is no support for the "branches". I used 3" high folding fence in a zig-zag between 4 of my sauce tomatoes last season and it worked well. I use a tube of 12" high stick-in-the-dirt as an edging fence for my peony. I still have to stake the individual flowers - but the edging helps a lot. One year I used a metal Eiffel Tower shaped wine rack as a support for a morning glory and it was great fun!
Mem'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.