Red Durban

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This is what i bought last year as Red Durban and I would swear it looks just like Tropicanna. The seller said Red Durban had redish orange bloom but this bloom looked orange to me. Now the foilage is suppose to look like Tropicanna.
I paid big bucks at ebay to get a red bloom!!! what do you think?

CRicket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Cricket,
It's Tropicanna. Red Durban's leaves are a little different and the bloom is truely ..red similar to Australia.
There is very little Durban to go around right now. I lost my plant in 2004. I have been trying to locate some healthy stock for a friend to propagate it better. My last purchase for big bucks, too, from a supposedly reputable dealer turned out to be Tropicanna, too.
Alice

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I hate it when sellers trick you like that. Makes you wanna go visit in person and tell them a thing or two but they know we most likely wont do that cause they live too far away.
I paid $26 for a fake.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I have a Canna that has just bloomed for the first time, and the large bloom is the deepest red I've ever seen. Really deep, like you see on some roses. The leaf is dark green with a muted dark red stripe.It doesn't have the gold tones in the stripe that my Tropicannas have.

I'm so sorry I don't have the name for it. It was in a bag of bulbs just marked "Various Colors". The rest of them were yellow and orange. This is my first year for Cannas and I'm loving the Canna Forum. Learning something everyday from you all.
Pati

Louisville, KY

I have been taken by a seller last year for Canna Durban as well. Of course I emailed and asked if it was the true form with red flowers. I payed a lot for it only to have a tropicanna come up that summer and flower. I never did leave feed back for him I was waiting to see what it would be sense it was a rhizome with no leaves. You can tell it apart from tropicanna if your really careful in looking at the leaves durban is a bit darker and the lines in the leaves are a bit closer together of course this is hard to see when they are young but you can notice it once they get a bit larger. I can usually tell from a leaf if looked at closely. I really would have liked to given that seller a piece of my mind. I hope you leaves some aweful feed back what they are doing is a straight out scam to make money. He knows what he is selling is not the true form.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Sadly---I left feed back when I got the rhizome by mail--left + feed back cause it was healthy and had several eyes. I never would of thought it was goin to be a fake.

I try to order from companies now. Even they can make missakes, surely they wont send me fakes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.