My Perennials are Blooming

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I've been taking pictures and left them in the camera. I noticed all the color in my review and wanted to share them.

Starting off with the Foxglove. When I got this plant it had one bloom stalk. It bloomed and we deadhead in February. Then we had another freeze. Well now there are about 6-7 bloom stalks and they are really showing off!

Thumbnail by MollyMc

This is one of many yarrow. It's a german hybrid called "The Beacon". It's red and gold in the bloom.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Gaillardia, Arizona Sun.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Yarrow, Paprika

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Yarrow Jung frau (sp) a soft pastel yellow

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Love all of them and wish I had them in my beds !!!! Just send them on up here . LOL . I ran out and bought a few things today as if I have somewhere to put them !!!!!!

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

ooohhh, that is unusual ! What do you have it next to?

Yarrow, Snow Sport

Corgi, All these yarrow I got from Bluestone. A couple of the gaillardia too.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Which one Corgi?

This one is Gaillardia "Torch-Red Ember"

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Gaillardia "Fanfare" I have always loved this one, now I can keep one alive. They like it here.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Buddleia, Pink Delight, my first butterfly bush to bloom this year.

Corgi, These are all in my front yard. I am not doing grass but a very rough look with mulch and pinestraw walkways. These perennials are scattered about in between ornamental grasses. My gardens are brand new so my vision of all this stuff blending and flowing together is still a little ways off. Right now, there is ugly space between each plant.

See the next frame.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

This is the main part of the front yard. The house is on the left, the pumphouse is the one on the right. We made 2 pathways coming from the arbor, then as you get over to the pine stepping stones, one walkway continues on to the fire pit.

I am growing grass in the backyard for my 3 dogs. That's a slow process too.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Athens, OH

Molly-
The color on the folxglove is absolutely spectactular!
Just lovely.
ROX

nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

Molly,
I really like those colourful yarrows. Do they behave themsilves properly in the beds or does one have to keep an eye on them to make sure thay don't start to take over the area?
I am envious of all the space you have in your yard, plenty of growing room for plants.

ferrymead, I can only hope that they DO misbehave and take over some of the areas. I have planted some love grass, miscanthus and a few other varieties. The soft ferny foliage of the yarrows will add a different texture to the areas.

In Florida, even in zone 8b, it's hard to know exactly which plants will misbehave. When I lived in Lauderdale, my gardening friends kept telling me "friends don't give friends spiderwort". Well in Lauderdale, it's too hot for too long for spiderwort to get rambunctious. I have some here now that I am hoping will misbehave too.

Rox, I was very pleased that the foxglove made a come back. One bloom stalk was not enough, far as I am concerned it can keep blooming all summer!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Molly, I love the way your pump house is painted! Very unique.
Sharon

Thanks Sharon, I paint my house the same color to match.

:^)))

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey There!! Look at these guys! They measure 4 1/2 to 5 feet Tall!!!

Thumbnail by katrun

katrun,

That's pretty cool!!!! and pretty too.

Molly

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Great flowers!! everybody. I am so jealous of your foxgloves. It gets too hot too fast here for them to thrive. It's in the 90's for highs already this week, and warms up from there.

Molly, your pump house gardens make it look like it has always been there - all established ... and so many of your 'beginners' are flowering for you already.. Hurrah!! I think the yarrows just get wider and cover more area? does anyone know if they actually root out and spread?

I have a wormwood artemesia that turned itself into an immense bush by both spreading and then rooting where the long arms touch the ground.

katrun, are the way tall ones a special breed?

Blooms,

The foxgloves seem to live the cold weather a lot. I think we had 2 freezes/frosts since we put those in. I reckon they will be on their way out pretty soon since it's getting hotter every day.

Right now the nights are still a little cool. Maybe that's what's keeping them going now.

As far as the yarrow, I have only had some in zone 10b. They don't seem to take over too much in the heat, but I am not sure how they will act here in 8b. I hope they get big and lacey. I love their look even without the flowers.

Molly
:^)))

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Your front is going to be lovely in a couple years when everything starts to fill in. My front is done the same way with peagravel paths and garden beds. This is the first year I am getting all of it mulched and that really does give it a more finished look. It is surprising how fast the plants can fill in.

Susan

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

UMMMM -! I can't remember what kind of Fog Glove they are. They werent mail order. Once again I picked them up at the Home Depot. I wanted them for so long. I had no luck. So I bought 4 packages of seeds and put them in pots on my deck to start them.
They get part shade. I transplanted some from full sun into that bed pictured. They are bigger and nicer looking than the ones I have in Full sun.
They like some shade .
I can tell u I planted some dwarf fox glove and Apricot ones today. My daughter bought me some seeds For Mothers day. (Like I dont have enought Fox Glove). I have 2 other beds with them in them!

Molly- do u Dead Head your Fox GLove after it blooms?
Any one have any pic of Canterberry Bells?? Would Love to see some-

Kat,

We did deadhead after the first flush of blooms. I will do it again after this one and see if we get another. Maybe it will work and the bloom stalks will double again!!!!

Molly
:^))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.