Flowers for gravesite

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

In June I'm planting flowers on a gravesite. I'm going to plant daylilies, but need suggestions as to complementary perennials that will do well in Michigan. Thanks!

This message was edited May 16, 2006 8:01 AM

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Helloooooo

Depending on your soil, I would for sure put in some bulbs so you can have something blooming in spring. Tulips and daffys are great in a group. Shasta Daisy and Blackeye Susan grow well here in Michigan. Is the grave site shadded? If it is, then i would suggest a hydranger.

Deann

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi,

I agree with Deann on her choice of complimentary perennials. Also you could consider hostas for shade or part shade or autumn sedum (this plant absolutely will not die under any condition). My sister had some she dug up from my mother's home and with not enough time to plant them, they were left on her outdoor patio in plastic grocery bags and they survived the winter here in Michigan... that one was unbelievable.

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the great suggestions, Deann! I live in SC, so I wasn't sure as to what would thrive in a Northern zone. The gravesite gets afternoon shade, so hydrangeas would probably thrive. Daisies and Black-Eyed Susan look great with daylilies.

This message was edited May 13, 2006 6:42 AM

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

Gardenbeads, hostas and sedum would be perfect. Thank you!

I have a source for daylilies, and I think the suggested plants should be easy to find when I get to Michgan.

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

You are welcome altered state. If you need any help locating a nursery for plants in Michigan in the mid to lower thumb area (that is the thumb of the mitten as we call it), let me know, I could give you directions, etc. That is so nice that you are planting at the gravesite. I do that for my father's grave site also, makes all the difference.

Gardenbeads

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Where in Michigan is this grave site located........I can also help with nursery's as well......Or, if its not too far from me, I have lots of Shasta Daisy and Black eye susan.

Deann

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

The gravesite is in Albion.Thank you for your kind offer! I'm going to pick up the daylilies on my way to Albion from the Detroit airport, but the seller doesn't sell perennials.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Albion is considered middle Michgian, and I am on the east side of the state. way north of there, Sorry....I think Albion is close to the Jackson, Battle Creek or Marshall....Lots of good nursery's out that way...Good Luck to you.....

Deann

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Just be sure it is permitted at the cemetary. At my Mom's grave, you are not permitted to plant anything. Although I have put in crocus bulbs, they don't get in the way of the tractor.

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Toofewanimals is right, at the cemetary where my father is buried, they won't allow you to plant anything taller than a foot high, best to check first. Good thinking.

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

Most of the cemeteries around here won't allow any planting at all, but this cemetery has only one restriction --- "promiscuous plants" are not allowed

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi, I am serious here altered states, what does that mean? Invasive?

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

Yep, I think they're referring to invasive plants, gardenbeads. Pretty odd choice of words --- the cemetery is old, so the rules were probably written years ago.

This message was edited May 16, 2006 12:57 PM

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

alteredstate.........LOL @ you about promiscuous plants" are not allowed....that is too funny

Deann

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Love that new/old term 'Promiscuous Plants'. I think we should bring it back!!!!

I think it is great that you can plant at the gravesite. I would have a virtual garden on top of Mom if I could. (grin)

I think the spring bulbs (use daffodils if there are deer about) are a great idea. The sedum and hosta would be beautiful.
Maybe a bulb or 2 of an Asiatic Lily and Allium (globemaster or gladiator) would add some height for May/June bloom. The daylilies height of bloom will be in July.

Let us know what you do ... would love to see a picture of it.

sharon

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, let us know how it goes. I am also interested. Thanks altered state!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

At Michigan Memorial where my parents are they have strict rules so we just put pots of flowers and hope NO one steals them...Which has happened on several occasions...

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

I must admit the cemetery rule regarding the restriction of "promiscuous plants" gave my family members a good laugh at an extremely sad time.

Guess this means I won't be planting any Brugmansia "Harlot".........

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Demstratt, Michigan Memorial is where my Mom is also. I've had lots of problems of people stealing the plastic flowers I put out when it is cold. Someone has a very nice collection of plastic flowers. :o(

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

Y'all have provided great suggestions ---- thank you so much! I should be able to snare some end-of the-season bulbs online and am sure I'll be able to find the perennials in Albion or surrounding towns.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I have lots of family there and they will steal anything..It does'nt do any good to complain they told me ...don't put anything that I don't care about someone taking...I saw a lady digging up bulbs there and told her they were planted there by people that wanted them there..She said oh well a few won't hurt..Nice lady she had her kids and husband with her...Now her kids will think it's OK to steal by her setting such a good example for them..Your plastic flowers are probably for sale at Green Lawn Grove Flea Market...I seen a lady there for years selling plastic and silk flowers..How low can they get??/

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

That's unbelieveable, Demstratt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.