what in the world is this?

Dripping Springs, TX(Zone 8b)

never seen one of these wondering if i should be concerned

Thumbnail by tednugent
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I knew that I had seen this beetle before, but it took me a moment to place it. At first I thought Long-horned beetle, but I don't know what I was thinking, and I had one of those "duh" moments, because this definitely has the look of a darkling beetle (family Tenebrionidae) so that's where we start.

Now depending on whether you are a lumper or a splitter, this is either in the family Tenebrionidae or it has it's own family Zopheridae. Either way it is genus Zopherus, one of the Ironclad beetles, so called because it has a very hard shell.

Most of these sem to be in the western part of the U.S. - which is why I have never seen one personally. They are prone to playing dead, sometimes for a long time, and are resistant to water loss.

Strangely, my "Peterson Field Guide to Beetles" totally ignores this genus - what the frilly heck? - but it is weirdly in the much less comprehensive "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects & Spiders" - which is where I had seen the picture of this beetle. I look at this reference a lot, because most of our extension agents in Georgia have this book, so if the bug I am ID'ing is in that, we have a common reference point.

So, short answer - you have an ironclad beetle here. Genus Zopherus. It eats fungi - probably in rotting logs - and is most likely harmless. If you happen to have that Audubon Society guide, then your beetle is plate #185 with the accompanying information on page 586. I hope that helps.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

he looks like a Rorschach test. i love him.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Good call, Night_Bloom! Here's the local (Texas) info on it - along with an identical picture of Zopherus nodulosus haldemani.

Edited:
Well, rats! I forgot to put the link in. It is: http://www.texasento.net/Ironclad.html

This message was edited May 14, 2006 12:11 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.