Blooming citrus tree

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I bought a Ponderosa Lemon from Logee"s Green house last summer.I overwintered it in the house and it started blooming inside.There were tons of blooms that had a heavenly scent.It was too cold to put outside permanently,so I carried it out on warm days.The scent was so strong that I hoped it would attract some pollinator.No such luck.I thought I had missed the boat.

I took it out about a month ago and potted it up.It is now full of blooms again and they are twice as big.

Is anyone else growing citrus?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi, no on the citrus. I have a few tropicals. Guava, that needs more sun. Star fruit, and several Tabubias. But now that I am remembering those orange blossom smells-I think I need to plant a small fruit tree. Elaine

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I bought a Meyer lemon tree while I was down in the Bay Area in February and it has since bloomed and quite heavily too. I hadn't realized just how fragrant they were either. Eventually mine will go outside for the summer. I see a few little lemons beginning to form.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Elaine
I grew star fruit when we lived in Florida and I think it tastes like cool aide.What is a Tabubia?I hate the taste of guava except in Cuban pasteries.
Lenjo
That is so nice that you have fruit from your Meyer Lemon.I am waiting for fruit from the Poderosa.It is supposed to be spectacular.

Anyway the scent of citrus is heavenly and when you combine it with Jasmine and Honeysuckle (both blomming now)WOW!

Hi
I have a Myer lemon, a cocktail which is a combination Myer lemon and key lime and also have a cumquat. They all have fruit and smell wonderful!
~Elaine~

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Citrus is one of the top five of my list. I got an citrus myrtifolia 'Myrtle leaf Orange' from Logees. I also have a orange jasmine (murraya paniculata)-I figure I can't go wrong with this one-I love orange and jasmine scents! I hope the orange tree blooms as much as the lemon seems to -should I do something special to it?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh,,, I love the smell & taste of guavas.. Makes good jelly...The one I have is the small-- hmmm. think it is sometimes called pineapple guava. The seeds came from a tree my grandma had in her yard. The tabubia is either a yellow or purple (small) flowering tropical tree. I have one that survived the winter in a sheltered warm area next to the house (heavy mulch). I got the seeds from (ahem) a tree in __, FL near a grocery store.. I made some jelly from the star fruit also..

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I only have a dwarf lime. Citrus are not allowed where I live so I could not plant any in ground. I love the fragrance however.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a Calamondin Orange that is doing quite well. I should have bought one sooner, but I thought it would be hard to keep here. So far, even with rainy bad weather, it is really thriving.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, I have 5 citrus that I grow in large pots. Meyer Lemon, Eureka Lemon, Bearss Lime, Minneola Tangelo & a Valencia Orange. The tangelo is a new one I got this Spring, the rest I have had for years. I think I am totally addicted to the blossoms, even more then the fruit. LOL There is nothing like walking past that row of citrus when it is in bloom, you can almost swoon from the smell! Wonderful.
I cannot even imagine what that was like inside, did you smell it all through the house? What a smell to wake up to.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I have the improved Meyer Lemon (Martha Stewart said the lemons from this tree go for a premium price in the markets if you are a grower who sells)....

It's been in the ground for about 6 months, had it about 1 year but the only time it had profuse blooms was when it was just purchased. I suppose now it's busy setting roots and trying to get the fruit on. It's still only about 2' tall. It has the most sweetly intoxicating blooms I've ever smelled!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/78286/

Another GREAT scented tree bloomed is the Sweet Olive but the fruits aren't edible I'm told. Check it out, it has some of the most comments of any plant I've seen on Dave's!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1450/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.