Anaheim Peppers not hot in EB

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Last summer, I planted a bunch of Anaheim peppers in my EB but they had no spicyness to them at all. Anaheim peppers are normally not that spicy anyway, but mine was more like sweet pepper sweet with no bite at all. Are people experiencing spicy peppers turning out sweet in EB's? Am I supposed to hold off on topping the EB off with water?

tmm

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Never had that problem tmm99. I regularly grow Cayenne, Louisiana Hots, Tobasco and many others in EB's and without exception they have all been very hot. I believe there are many Anaheim variations and perhaps you had a sweet one. Assuming you are using nursery bought plants they might also have been mismarked. I once bought a 6 pack labeled Hot Portugal that turned out to be a sweet frying peppers.

Rich

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you Rich.

I don't think you would know if you had heat issues if you plant very hot peppers only. (My thai peppers in the EB were extremely hot - but was it as hot as it is supposed to be? I can't say since the heat of thai peppers is way over my threshold anyway - I planted it only because it looked so pretty!) I feel that you can only tell the difference with only mildly hot peppers like aneheim or shishito or something like that.

It is possible Anaheim peppers were mislabled, but I doubt it. They tasted just like anaheim pappers I get at stores minus the heat. It is quite possible though that there are many anaheim varieties and I bought the kind that is supposed to be sweet.

I have planted Anaheim and Fresno this year and Fresno is supposed to be hot like jalapeno so I will see.

Thanks Rich!

tmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.