Yippee! My Clematis bloomed!

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

My very first Clematis...ever! Now can someone ID this one for me? It was a purchase from either Home Depot, Lowe's or Walmart last year and it didn't bloom. Since I was just starting out with gardening I didn't save the package with the name. Now that I'm REALLY into gardening I'm trying to record the names of everything I plant.

Thanks!
JoAnn

Thumbnail by frausnow
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

JoAnn,
Congrats! It looks a bit like 'Nellie/Nelly Moser' to me, but I'm no clem expert.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/694/index.html

This message was edited May 9, 2006 6:13 PM

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

JoAnn: Congratulations on your first bloom! Where are you growing this Clematis? In sun or shade? Are the colors that you showing us accurate? The reason I ask is that the stamen look creamy. 'Nelly Moser' has reddish purple to brownish ones. Would you mind taking & posting a few more pictures of your lovely Clematis please?

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Shirley,
I took a few more shots of the clematis. The stamens are definitely an off white or 'creamy' color. Also, it only has 6 petals whereas all the pics I've seen of Nelly Moser have 7. The pic above is slightly darker in coloration than what it really is. The outer color is a light lavendar with the center a darker lavendar. the vine is located in front of my house which faces south so it gets full sun most of the day. Hope the following pics help.

Thumbnail by frausnow
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Told ya I'm no expert- lol! Seriously, I do hope you get a pos ID.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry, I'm not able to make a positive id.

Gadsden, AL(Zone 7b)

Killian Donahue maybe?

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry, I couldn't get the other photos up yesterday. I think the site went down or something because I couldn't get it to come up at all after I uploaded the first photo. I'll try again.

Thumbnail by frausnow
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

The colors resemble the Killian Donahue, but it doesn't have the same petal formation. Hmmm, wonder if it's a cross between the Nellie Moser and Killian Donahue? He, he.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.