French composted?

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I have never heard of this term before, but here it is on an ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Organic-Fertilizer-Powdered-Chicken-Manure-2-GAL_W0QQitemZ7763233873QQcategoryZ20540QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was joking on the straw-bale-veggie gardening site about selling my chicken droppings as a "Bale Booster", but it looks like someone has beat me to the punch on this! Do you suppose they are putting the chicken manure into a food dehydrator to make it into powder? Would'nt it lose some of its nutrient content in the process of drying out?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

OK I see it as another gimick. Why don't you just roll the bale in a bunch of manure or just get the manure. Much cheaper than 16.99! You could get 14 bags for that price. Oh yeah they do have water in the chicken manure bags. What was I thinking.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Does French composting involve sticking your tongue out while you do it?

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Naughty, naughty. :)

pam

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Dave- that was funny! I had a good laugh, thanks! Check out the other ebay listings for gardening, there is even an ad for Llama droppings, and in the description they refer to it as "Llama beans!"

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

As a french canadian I take offense to that - "sticking your tongue out" should be..... sticking tongue out with thumb in ears while wiggling the other 4 fingers THEN turning tail and running.......sheesh

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

MQN OK I have to ask. How does a french Canadian end up in Utah of all places?

Soferdig - Religon - my dad was married and had a child before he met my mom, THEY could not be Catholic....when they divorced she took my brothers and sisters (I stayed in Alberta) down to SLC, UT (cause they had converted to Judaism...kidding;+}). NEVER thought I would move here (I am NOT mormon). One bad domestic dispute later and I went running home to "mommy" and to let him cool off and....after alot of paper work and cashola I am now a "legal alien". Reason I stayed?.....Hello I am in Zone Heaven. Gotta say I have always loved Montana...beautiful country, so much more like home...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

MQN well you have had an interesting life too. Congratulation on your survival skills and all you have used to keep going.

Soferdig - Funny reading that back I sound like some kind of victim (I am more the type that gives headaches.... not gets them)- I have never seen myself like that maybe I should have written.....while running away from my cares and worries I discovered the beauty and HEAT of Utah and stayed despite the fact my ULTRA Mormon mother is here and my beloved daddy is back home. Yeah much better. My mom is pure 100% French, me da is Heinz 57 so WE love to poke fun @ the French, that and being Western Canadian vs. Eastern....do not get me going on that bitter feud...;+}

I am going to do your sediment test tonight. Last time I went home I had soil envy....have not read enough of your other thread to know, what is your soil like up there in MT?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Soil in montana = Rocks, rocks, rocks, clay, clay, clay, and a touch of loam. So every bit of soil I have put on my 3 acres is made by me and glaciers. (Well cows, sheep, elk, deer, lhama, and bear have added a few bits). See this site. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/602092/ It has a good summary of soil building.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Now I'm just wondering what French-Canadian-American composting would consist of!?

Well if you been following the Oilers like I have I would say it would have alot of booing and cheering and tongue sticking outing during the playing of national anthems....;+}

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

What is going on in Oiler land? Are they still in texas?

I think you are thinking of football and I am talking hockey, the Sharks and Oilers had a game in CA in which some Shark fans booed the Canadian Anthem (not too cool seeing how 10 of their players are Canadian), next game in Edmonton while the American Anthem was being sung Edmonton fans cheered so loud the American anthem was drowned out.

Interesting how a google search shows nothing on "French compost" I do not think a dehydrater is a good idea. Thinking its more slow passive decomposition over a long period of time.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I had several yards of composted (for years) dehydrated cow manure. An I feel that it was a mediochre ammendment. It only had weeds growing on it and that was probably due to the dry powder nature of it.
PS how sad that we Americans are so insensitive to the Canadian Pride. I love Canadians.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

J'aime Canada!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Did I forget to post my response to the booing of the Canadian Anthem? Or was I editted?
Either way: Go Canada!

Canadian Pride - sounds like an oxymoron;+}

Denver, CO

I just read that only cultural self-identificaiton thing that makes a Canadian a Canadian is not being American. Funny, but not a joke- I got to thinking about it and might just agree!
Kenton, who composts Vancouver-style.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.