What type of Iris? Check out these roots

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello everyone. Is this Louisiana? I don't have a clue. Can someone help me indentify this type? These rhizomes are very long and travel along sort of in a serpentine manner, radiating in a large circle. Does that make sense? Whatever they are, they sure did grow fast.

Thanks for any tips!

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Closer view

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

my guess would be louisiana.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Do you think they would be okay in a bucket of water for a day or two?

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

My advice is yes... the rhizomes look exactly like all of my Louisiana tubers so I feel pretty confident that they are LA's. Just cover the rhizomes with water - not too deep.

:)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Charlotte!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I'd say LA, too. One of the identifying characteristics of LAs is their striped rhizomes, which yours have. Definitely get those puppies in a bucket of water IMMEDIATELY. Their rzs and roots should NOT be allowed to dry out!

Laurie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I did. :) They are in a bucket of water, just enough to cover the rhizomes, in the shade. I was alarmed to see one of them, growing smack dab in the middle of one of the daylilies. I followed this long rhizome to a clump of others, and so on. The whole circle of these is about 2 1/2 feet in diameter.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That's another common characteristic of LAs; they wander.

Laurie

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

They sure do and Black Gamecock..though beautiful...grows like a weed !

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I've got some LA 's planted here in lower (wetter) parts of my yard. I don't know if they will be happy or not. Only time will tell.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

This one is in a 'soggy' area of our yard. Well, it's soggy 6 months out of the year at least. I was reading in the plantfiles that these love lots of water and can be grown in a pond. Looks like you have yours in a good spot Wanda.

I might try some of these in our little water feature.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.