Mexican Broom

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi, My Brother lives in the high desert and was telling me about a neat shrub he has called a Mexican Broom. It's huge and covered with beautiful flowers right now. I can't find any reference to it however. Has anyone ever heard of it? Is it really known as somehting else? He's in Albuquerque, New Mexico if that helps. Thanks a bunch, Christina

Try searching under the common name Spanish Broom. They are all over here and yes they do have beautiful yellow flowers. I wish I could remember the scientific name for you.

Here you go, I found it in the Plantfiles.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/81645

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

There are also other genus Cytisus and Spartium as well as the above linked Genista that you may look at as well. All of these are commonly refered to as "Broom" of some sort.

I wonder if the plant you are talking about is a native?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ah, thank you so much! I knew if I asked someone could steer me in the correct direction. I was close with the name Mexican Broom.

Any tips on pruning that anyone might offer? When is the best time and are there any pointers on how to do so for the best results?

Thanks again!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There is at least one species that's invasive--unfortunately I can't remember off the top of my head which one it is, but make sure you research that before you buy one.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

ok, thanks

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

My doctor, who has lots of allergies, told me broom is one of the worst instigators of symptoms when I told her I wanted to use it as part of a boundry marker. It grows freely around here, and could be invasive. I think it is call scotch or spanish broom. Lovely flowers and form, in my opinion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.