Groundcover for a culvert

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

I have been trying to decide what to plant on a downward slope at the corner of our yard. This slope is one side of a culvert that our property shares with the lot next door. We planted 3 weeping willows in the center of the culvert to use as privacy for the lot next door when the owner finally builds. My hubby wants to plant ground cover on our side of the slope to use as erosion control and keep the weeds down to a miniumum and thought about using english ivy. My only reservation to a fast growing vine is the (strong) possibility of the vine growing up and over the willows. I don't want to climb into the culvert to cut back the ground cover. Any other suggestions? We have 5 Nellie Stevens hollies on the bank of the culvert. Thanks.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Daylilies - you need some wonderful orange daylilies and I have hundreds if you want to come dig!!!! I am in Dunwoody...

Please don't plant ivy - I have spent this last year pulling and cutting. Once it gets started, it has no boundries.

This message was edited May 9, 2006 10:13 AM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I have the same problem. I'm thinking of ferns myself as a groundcover. Some volunteer willows are already there which I let stand. I just want to keep the poplars and pines from taking over the area which may be a losing battle. I've cut down dozens so far but new ones are still coming up all the time. Same goes for the blackberries.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Gosh, Sterhill, I love daylilies but I forgot to mention that we also have deer and they would love to graze on tasty things like lilies. Ferns sound wonderful hcmcdole, you must have shade. My slope is northeast but has sun all day long. I too have wild blackberry vines everywhere which has been a chore to cut back and kill off. What do you both think about mondo grass? I also have been doing some reading on ajuga which is suppose to be drought, slope, deer tolerant.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

gliz,
Ajuga is a good choice and also the very common groundcover junipers. Cotoneaster is also a great ground cover that is tough as nails and I don't *think* deer will touch them.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

(forehead slap!) yes, junipers - I can't believe I forgot about the very tough juniper. Hugs the ground, grows in any condition - will definitely control erosion. Thank you!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I was thinking about blue rug junipers. They could take all the sun you could give them.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

You read my mind...Just returned from lowes with 28 blue rug junipers. From what I read they are tough little buggers - fast growing, deer and drought resistant, controls erosion. Wow, who could ask for anything more! :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I bet they'll look beautiful, too! :-)

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Update - thought you would like to see how they look...just need to finish up with some pine straw. Next on the list is a jacuzzi bath for my sore back :)

Thumbnail by gliz
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

They look great! They will fill out in no time!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice!!

:)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.