Baby (short) brugs setting buds

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm rather new to brugs, but this year I've planted about 12 that were from cuttings for good folks here on DG. It's been so interesting. MY Dr. Z and Chas. G. are performing as they've always done -----waiting till they're 4-5' tall till they set blooms. But a couple of the cuttings (Pink Frosty and Pink Floyd) are setting buds and they're not over 2' tall! I even have a peach that can't be over 12" and has a bud! I know they have to "Y" before they'll bloom. So does this mean that the cuttings had been cut above the "Y" went sent to me and then next year, after they die back and come back, that they'll gain more height before they bloom? Don't get me wrong......I'm not complaining -- I just find it fascinating!

I've got some sort of double white that I bought last year about 18" tall when purchased. I wintered it inside in the pot and then planted it when it warmed up. Well, now it's grown to 18" (yes, the same), but is getting a few "fill in" leaves. The top part is rather leggy looking and hasn't budged. Should I snip the top down to almost where the new leaves are coming out to get it going? I'm beginning to believe that cuttings actually do better than buying (or acquiring) brugs that have some height to them.

This is all so interesting.
Barbara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.