Word of the week - Abcess!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Chewie was off & on last week, and his behavior should've gotten my attention better. Monday, he was wormed. Tuesday, he was "off" - a little limp in his front left foot. I wasn't sure if he was really lame, or just lazy. So since I didn't feel any hot joints, I rode him through it, about 45 minutes total of work. Wednesday, he was limping again - day off. Thursday, he was good, so we rode hard, over an hour of hard work, an hour walk-out (lots of cavaletti work, and about 15 passes over cavaletti's followed by a crossrail, at trot & canter). Friday, he was slow & lethargic. I figured it was from Thursday, as a hard day like that usually does wear him out as that's not normal "work" for him at my riding level. We worked for about 20 minutes Friday, then called it a night.

Saturday, at 6:45am, I loaded him in a heavy rainstorm, headed to Austin for a lesson (hadn't had one in three weeks, so I was anxious to get there). Got slowed by thunderstorms, and finally arrived around 9:45am. Tacked, began lunging,,, EW! Big limp at the trot! I felt so bad having loaded & hauled him just to have him lame. Told instructor, she came to watch lunge. We felt all joints, and front left knee was hot. Put him in a stall, and rode a lesson horse (another post about this, too).

Got to the vet (about 20 minutes from instructor), with a planned appointment for vaccinations. She and about 7 other people felt his legs, and didn't feel heat on the knee. They did a hoof-test, and found it! He almost pulled that hoof out of her hand, which isn't like him unless he's "owie".

The treatment?? Soak 10mins per day in epsom salt & water, apply ichthamol, cotton, vetwrap, and ducttape. Repeat until change in lameness.

Any experiences or suggestions ya'll would like to offer on abcesses & treatment?

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!